Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your storage space?

• Total voters

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I've seen one or two threads here about which model of iPad 2 people are purchasing, but thought it would be interesting to see the stats on purely storage space.

So whether you own an iPad, an iPad 2, or have neither but intend to purchase one in the near future, what storage space have you chosen? Put your preference in the poll and add some details or reasoning in the thread if you wish to.

(If you own more than one iPad, firstly I envy you, and secondly just vote for whichever you use more, or whichever you bought most recently, or something like that. You'll figure it out.)

Personally, I'll be going for the 64GB option when the iPad 2 is released here in Australia (hopefully March 25th pending any delays due to the horrible disasters in Japan). I had been thinking I could get away with the 32GB but have just gone through all my music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, apps and photos, and even with only the most used media, it will be a squeeze to fit in to the 64GB (59 in reality) iPad.

Last edited:

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I'm not surprised to see the 64GB model getting the most. If you are buying something that expensive, you might as well just go the little step up to get the biggest one you can get. If you don't do that, trust me you will regret it down the road.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
People must be storing a lot of music and videos.

I got the 32GB just to be safe, but barely use any of it. I will probably only use the extra space when I travel and want to have 3-4 movies with me.

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I was planning on getting a 32gb but since I tried home sharing this week I'm not so sure I need even 32gb but the prices do seem a bit lower so I might end up with a 64 after all

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I got the 64GB, because I'm seriously considering replacing my MBA with it. It's the first gen, 3 years old and only has an 80gb HD. The iPad 2 is better for games and video than my model of MBA. They're about the same at web surfing and email.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Picked 32 for the poll... But I have a 64 3G 1st Gen and a 32 3G 2nd Gen... I found I rarely go up to 20 G of space on my old iPad, so I downgraded for this gen.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I got the 16 because I put no music on my iPad. I'll store the occasional podcast and a season of a kids show for my daughter but that's the extent of my media collection. Rest is just apps. Still have many GB's free.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
64 is more than I need, but the main reason I favor 32 over 16 is apps. Games like infinity blade rare only going to take up more and more space. 32 seems to be the perfect size for everything I have.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I got the 16. I dont want any music on it. I will mostly use it for some pictures, books, games and video streaming. I have all of my music on my iphone and I use my macbookpro for everything else. I don't need the ipad2 at all; just wanted it :D

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
32. I could probably get buy with 16 as I won't be putting many (if any) music or movies on it.

But I wanted to have the piece of mind to install all the apps I wanted and put PDFs, pictures etc on it with out worrying about space.

64gb would be over kill for my uses.

JamesSmart

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
16. I haven't even come close to filling my 8GB iPod.
I have specific tastes in music, so I rarely add music and because im not old enough for a credit card, the only way I can get stuff from iTunes is with giftcards which means I don't buy movies or tv programmes either. All I have is 2GB of Apps and a few hundred MB of music and Maybe 50MB of Pics. Yet saying this, I haven't even got an iPad nor have I defiantly decided to get one.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I have 64GB on my iPad1, but I want to go more cloud based so for my iPad 2 I will get 16GB. With a Jailbroken iPad you can extend the memory via the camera connection kit anyway (with SD cards).

Phima256

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cleveland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had the first gen 16gb, but plan on getting the 32 or 64gb iPad 2. I store my workout videos on there for when I travel and that eats up a lot of space.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I only put like 3 playlists of music on my 16GB iPad 1 & only a few TV shows/movies on it when traveling. The rest of the time it's just for Wi-Fi streaming, apps, and a few GB's worth of pics.

So I'm sticking with 16GB for iPad 2. :cool:

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I went with the 32. I've never had a space problem with the 32GB iPhone, but I have occasionally needed just a bit more room on my 16Gb iPhones and iPad, so this time I bumped it up a notch.

64 would be overkill for me, though. Sure, if my employer was paying for it, I would have gotten a 64GB 3G just for the hell of it. :D But the 32GB wifi is all I really need.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
The sweet spot is the 32GB IMO, unless you are my better half - then the 16GB is probably enough. They are looking at an iPad more for the web experience than anything else. They have the 8GB nano and only 2GB of songs in their iTunes library. Though they have many more CD's that they play....

For me, I finally ended up with a 64GB iPad 3G after flirting with the wifi model. Just decided that fretting over an extra $100 here and there wasn't worth it. If I were to do it again, the particle side says that 32GB for an iPad2 would be plenty given my 32GB iPhone 4. Just would require a bit more management of files. But the 64GB is just only a $100 more! ROFL

I also have to take a better look at the apps that I load and use on my devices. Like lots of folks I have way too many apps that I have downloaded (mostly free ones) that I seldom use. When I get around to pruning apps that I thought were a neat idea at the time (like The Elements for the iPad, it weighs in at 1.7GB - though I can't remember when I last even used it LOL) it will be interesting to see how much space I will free up.

rx4success2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I went with the 64 gb one because I was running out of room on my iPod touch which was 32 gb. I'm wondering if my iPad is going to be soon replacing my MacBook as my main device because I can take notes on it for school and it's great for general use like web browsing and email

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.