Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
So when in finder, a folder of pictures with Icon display mode, when resizing the icons with the slider.. the horizontal scrollbar shows up. How to make it so that icons automatically dont go over the width of the window and just makes the vertical scroll bar longer as opposed to creating the horizontal scrollbar?

uncle.zed

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
This drives me crazy too!! please superduper extra future for Lion - "No more horizontal scroll bar in finder!!"

EDIT!!!

It is acctualy posible. just go to view options in folder and set sort by name in drop down menu . Boom It works.

cheers!

EDIT 2

This acts extrymly strange. in some folders it works OK then in others it doesn't and then works again end blablabla thoesn't work like should.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think the key is the Arrange By selection in Show View Options. When set to anything except None or Snap to Grid, the "field" of icons should expand one row at a time until you reach the limitation of your screen size. There should not be a horizontal scroll bar, just a vertical one.

bemcalavera

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
A bit in late, but I found that if you set (under "show view option" popup) "label position" on "Bottom" the trick is done. If I set it to "right" it automatically set horizontal scrollbar in the finder window, otherwise it is normally on the window side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.