Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hi, I live in Manchester and am waiting to buy an ipad 2 next week. I've never queued up for an apple product before so don't know what to expect. I want the black 16gb wifi. Will there be a large que or is this store quite empty normally for product launches. I wont be able to get there till 5 because of school :(. Is it worth trying to get one or would you say to try saturday morning. Also would the trafford centre store be a better try.

Thanks

triplecore1

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Hi, I live in Manchester and am waiting to buy an ipad 2 next week. I've never queued up for an apple product before so don't know what to expect. I want the black 16gb wifi. Will there be a large que or is this store quite empty normally for product launches. I wont be able to get there till 5 because of school :(. Is it worth trying to get one or would you say to try saturday morning. Also would the trafford centre store be a better try.

Thanks

I live in the states, so I am just speculating. I think there will be a long line no matter where you go come lunch day. Especially at an Apple retail store.

Maybe you want to try John Lewis or Dixons. In the US apple sold ipad2 at apple re sellers like best buy and they apparently had shorter lines.

Last edited:

Avro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Trafford Centre may be extremely busy. Best stick to Arndale. In Manchester next week and might drop into one of the stores as we don't have one in Yorkshire (yet!)

VagrantFarce

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
I work about 10 minutes away from the Arndale, so I'm hoping to grab one before or after work. Hopefully the lines and stock won't be too bad.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Avro said:
Trafford Centre may be extremely busy. Best stick to Arndale. In Manchester next week and might drop into one of the stores as we don't have one in Yorkshire (yet!)

? Last time I checked, Sheffield was in Yorkshire ;)

Avro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

? Last time I checked, Sheffield was in Yorkshire ;)

I forgot about that! :eek: My outlaws live in Sheffield. It must have been a Freudian slip. I get dragged to Meadow Hell all the time. Mind you it is in South Yorkshire. :p

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
Well with all things pointing toward a 5pm launch time on Friday, you'll stand a better chance of getting hold of one rather than it launching in the morning while you're at school.

No doubt about it, it's going to be busy. As with other Apple product launches, people just seem to go nuts. You have people like us from these forums queueing, the people who don't come on here but still love Apple products, and people who see the queues ask what its about and decide to join the queue because they'd love one.

Personally, if I were you, I'd be up at midnight/1am/2am on Friday morning for when hopefully the online orders will open and check the delivery lead times. If I knew I couldn't get down to the store early, or if I knew I'd arrive late (as you will be due to school) I wouldn't expect to get my hands on one in retail stores due to the obvious forthcoming shortages. People still seem to think they'll have plenty of stock later that day, or over the first few days after launch, but when it comes to it there's always shortages.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Hey Everybody! :) My first post! :D How is everyone?
I received an email from PC World today about iPad2..

But Arndale is where I'm planning on going!

I had heartache trying to get the first iPad, (three weeks) but - I'm aiming on getting there early....

How early are we all thinking? :D

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If I finally decide to give in to temptation and get an iPad 2 (my resolve is definitely weakening!), I've got a choice of 3 Apple stores within an hour: The two Manchester ones and Birmingham Bullring. Unfortunately, getting to any one of them involves going on the M6 which is never fun but even less so on a Friday :(
I might just wait for the dust to settle and pick one up in a couple of months if I still feel tempted

03sho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I only went this morning and at 10pm there was about 120 people queuing. I was about 110. By the time it was me they said they only had black 16gb wifi left.

I left empty handed :(

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
My old man was passing through when they was open yesterday, and he mentioned on phone a massive queue.

Good luck to those buying I say. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.