Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr502

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
The smart covers are great and all, but I'm hoping Apple will make a case that will protect the entire ipad 2. They cost too much money to depend on a piece of fabric for protection. What do you think?

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
The smart cover is MUCH MUCH more than just a piece of fabric. Its not much of a "case" because its not a case, its a cover lol

but to answer your question, no apple will most likely never make an iPad 2 case. The smart cover does everything they want, protects the screen and adds absolutely no bulk

There will be dozens upon dozens of 3rd party cases to choose from though

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
The Smart Cover was a pure profit gimmick. Sure it might be useful if you don't care about protecting your $500+ device, but imagine the profit margin on those things, especially the leather ones. I won't be surprised to see knock-offs and cases with similar magnetic features in the near future selling for much less. As long as people will buy these, why would Apple bother producing a real case?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The Smart Cover was a pure profit gimmick. Sure it might be useful if you don't care about protecting your $500+ device, but imagine the profit margin on those things, especially the leather ones. I won't be surprised to see knock-offs and cases with similar magnetic features in the near future selling for much less. As long as people will buy these, why would Apple bother producing a real case?

And as an apple shareholder in a big way, i chuckled when i saw the cover...brilliant...just like the bumper for the i4 that has got to be 4000% profit item. And yes, im not cynical or think there is a hugh conspiricy here, i own a cover and bumper.

But both are cute and offer abilty to buy mutiples of, for more profit.

I love apple....they let me retire early....and its my decision to buy a full case from other companies....

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
And as an apple shareholder in a big way, i chuckled when i saw the cover...brilliant...just like the bumper for the i4 that has got to be 4000% profit item. And yes, im not cynical or think there is a hugh conspiricy here, i own a cover and bumper.

But both are cute and offer abilty to buy mutiples of, for more profit.

I love apple....they let me retire early....and its my decision to buy a full case from other companies....

congrats.

JC5280

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
Brilliant marketing on Apple's part, to show of a cover along with the hot selling product. The fact is, the Smart Cover is not a case, it provides very little protection except to the front glass part of the iPad, which, in a big enough impact, it would come off anyway. In a drop scenario, this cover would be rated extremely low in protection, and thats why I consider it a cosmetic accessory only.

There are already third party "smart" cases coming to the market this week that offer far superior protection and appearance.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
Apple wan't peopple to recognize the ipad in puplic. And if the cover prevents the ipad to be seen than the concept is bad. Thats why there's only a cover

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.