Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cstaw25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Hi I would like to know what are the function of the bottom case left screws on a macbook a1181. the reason I am asking is because I missing those screws, well the computer is.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
They attach to the hinge and the inner frame. I'd get them replaced if you can. There's a distinct possibility that you could go into an Apple store and they'd simply replace them.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
If you're talking about the two screws on the power side of the older white macbook, they do nothing.

I have the same MacBook the OP has, and I've disassembled mine entirely before. You could actually look up what model it is before taking a guess. ;)

Also, it seems to me that the screws must do something or they wouldn't be there. Maybe they're not really necessary, but I can't imagine they do absolutely nothing. Even looking aesthetically pleasing is doing something :p

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I have the same MacBook the OP has, and I've disassembled mine entirely before. You could actually look up what model it is before taking a guess. ;)

Also, it seems to me that the screws must do something or they wouldn't be there. Maybe they're not really necessary, but I can't imagine they do absolutely nothing. Even looking aesthetically pleasing is doing something :p

The 2 screws on the left side are connected to a small strip of metal. Eman is quite correct in stating that they do nothing......They don't hold anything in place (other than a strip of metal glued to the inside of the case).

There is a story that Steve Jobs wanted them there to balance the 2 screws on the right side of the bottom case which hold the topcase in place on the right side. The topcase is held in place on the left side by 2 screws inside the battery connector.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yes, please stop guessing and look up the model number!:)

I did. I have the same MacBook. When I looked at my MacBook and thought "left" I was, of course, looking at the front of the Mac and so the two screws on my left do what I said they did. Of course, looking at the back of the Mac (which makes far more sense) the left screws do nothing.

I do know what I'm talking about, as I've completely disassembled this MacBook (and plenty of other laptops, both Mac and PC). Just a simple mistake, not a guess.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I was, of course, looking at the front of the Mac and so the two screws on my left do what I said they did. Of course, looking at the back of the Mac (which makes far more sense) the left screws do nothing.

I was (and I think the thread starter and eman too) referring to the screws on the left side of the front of the MacBook..

The port/power side.

Did you mean the "other left" ?

Or are you talking about the 2 screws that connect to the topcase and screen hinges on the rear of the MacBook ?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Or are you talking about the 2 screws that connect to the topcase and screen hinges on the rear of the MacBook ?

Wow. The entire time I've been talking about the screws on the rear of the MacBook, and now that I read the OP's post, I have no idea why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.