Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
IceMacMac
macrumors 6502

Should I be worried about this? (damage or fire)

I just bought an AL-Pro Dual-Bay from OWC to use as a Time Machine BU drive. This is the second one I've purchased and there are (to my untrained eye) a couple of peculiar things this time around.

Concern #1
Relative to the first unit...it seems like I have to awkwardly twist all the connector cables 180 degrees around to connect them to the drives, putting extra torque on the connections.

(bigger) Concern #2.
There are two pins on the "OWC Power Chip" that are bare and extend out where they touch the lower drive. These pins are completely unlike my first Dual Bay unit and unlike the product pictures in the OWC manual. I am no expert at all on motherboards/circuitry but it seems odd that two unexposed pins would be sitting where they are, extruding out towards the drives. I get wary about starting a fire when I see this.

Are my concerns warranted?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals