Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Does opening the iPad case legally void the warranty?
If so, why? especially if no mods were attempted? I read over the warranty but could not find where it states simply opening the case for a "look-see" voids the warranty. I did read that HW mods will void warranty.
Any one have experience with Apple on this with an ipad or iphone if you had to later see a genius about warranty issues?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Because once you break the seal on the case, if something goes wrong with the device, they can't prove that your fiddling around with the innards didn't cause the problem. That's standard on any device, except maybe a PC, and I'm not sure it's not true for those as well.

sk8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Because once you break the seal on the case, if something goes wrong with the device, they can't prove that your fiddling around with the innards didn't cause the problem. That's standard on any device, except maybe a PC, and I'm not sure it's not true for those as well.

But they also couldn't prove some fiddling around caused problems. Especially if nothing was touched except case removal.
Is this based on 1st hand experience?
Is this written policy?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
But they also couldn't prove some fiddling around caused problems...

Dude, are you like 12? Common sense tells anyone that if there's any question as to whether or not you broke something, a company's not going to allow you to return a product. How many people would intentionally break things just so they could return them after they're done playing if they did that? You can't go tinkering with the iPad like it's a Tinker Toy and then return it. Period. Read all the fine print in the User Agreement with ANY electronic product. It's there. Case closed.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Is this written policy?

Just a few examples:
img0489yl.jpg

img0488qj.jpg

img0487dr.jpg

img0486ad.jpg

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Does opening the iPad case legally void the warranty?
If so, why? especially if no mods were attempted? I read over the warranty but could not find where it states simply opening the case for a "look-see" voids the warranty. I did read that HW mods will void warranty.
Any one have experience with Apple on this with an ipad or iphone if you had to later see a genius about warranty issues?

The iPad 2 is glued together, which would make it difficult to put it back together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.