Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Anyone knows of a place where I can purchase a copy of Windows 7 with a student discount?!

Thanks!

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Canadians do have this version of the site but as you can notice it is for an upgrade. So you need to have Windows 7 Home Premium to go to Professional.

Anyway, I managed to get my hands on one and I am running Mc Os and Win7 my world cannot get any better!

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Hmm... I'm a student as well, and wondering about the most cost effective way to go about installing windows. Since it's an upgrade, what's the cheapest route to go?

Also, do Home Premium and Professional natively support 64-bit? Or do you need to buy a special version?

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, I'm not an IT student... in grad school, doing strange and obscure social sciences stuff.

They have Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for $35, but you need to upgrade from Vista... says it won't even work as an upgrade from XP, which I find very strange. (I know that you have to format if upgrading from XP, but that's not a problem as I'd be installing on a new partition and installing XP would be a waste of time).

I did, however, find this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...t-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Alternatively, I wonder if I can somehow use my current Windows 7 license. I upgraded from an OEM version of XP to Home Premium. I wouldn't be using this computer anymore, though, so don't need a new license. I don't mind dropping an extra $35 bucks for the 64-bit disk, but I don't know if I can transfer that license over...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You need to separate in your mind three things: what works, what the licenses allow, what is legal in your jurisdiction.

Read my comments in this thread and the links provided. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1122790/

If you go by the letter of the licenses, the only valid license for use on a Mac is a full retail license which retails for $199 for Home Premium. Your OEM license is strictly not transferable to another computer so the upgrade would not be valid. A new OEM would not be valid as the license requires you to resell the computer to an unrelated third party. A new upgrade license isn't valid because it doesn't have an underlying license with CoA sticker.

Any of those will work however, and only you can decide what is appropriate for you.

B

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
But if you upgrade to Windows 7 Retail from XP OEM, you have retail license. I just checked my license and I now definitely have Windows 7 Home Premium retail.

I think that when the time comes, I'm just going to call Microsoft to double check. It seems like I should be able to transfer the license, and hopefully there's a way to complete the install without having XP on the drive and without breaking any laws.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
But if you upgrade to Windows 7 Retail from XP OEM, you have retail license. I just checked my license and I now definitely have Windows 7 Home Premium retail.

I think that when the time comes, I'm just going to call Microsoft to double check. It seems like I should be able to transfer the license, and hopefully there's a way to complete the install without having XP on the drive and without breaking any laws.

You don't get a CoA sticker with the upgrade license. This is the underlying license that qualifies you for the upgrade, which is not transferable to the new hardware.

Again this is something that will definitely work. W7 over XP is a "custom" install, so it doesn't really keep any of XP around. You can install upgrade editions on bare metal using a couple of simple tweaks because of this. http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

More discussion here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/9c670a77-3b7c-43df-a630-6f02a08dd0f2/

Coorsleftfield, there is no 'practical' mechanism to prevent you from using the upgrade on anew machine in the future, if you have upgraded from an OEM license. You would be able to, in a practical sense, install and use a fully operational Windows 7 installation. But the technalities of the legal agreements involved would render it (technically) an installation which was not legitimately licensed.

Windows licensing is so complicated and messed up. I wouldn't assume that anything Microsoft tells you will be anything other than one person's interpretation, subject to the whim of the moment. MANY folks have actually transferred OEM/System Builder licenses to new hardware by calling Microsoft even though the license specifically prohibits that.

It's so bad that even MS advocates look the other way: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-your-own-pc-dont-ask-microsoft/1561

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.