Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:46 AM   #1
Chuchichan
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I live in Japan and am traveling now to the US for the first time with my Japanese iPhone? My wife is in Japan and I'd like to confirm that using FaceTime is totally free. Also, I don't seem to be able to initiate a FaceTime chat with her. She can initiate a call to me to my phone number. When I try to initiate a call to her phone it says she not setup for FaceTime (or something like that). Because she's calling my phone number to FaceTime, that's why I'm concerned that I'm getting billed.

So, basically, how should we be initiating calls? By email address, phone number, either?

Thanks...
Chuchichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:56 AM   #2
Jmouse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchichan View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I live in Japan and am traveling now to the US for the first time with my Japanese iPhone? My wife is in Japan and I'd like to confirm that using FaceTime is totally free. Also, I don't seem to be able to initiate a FaceTime chat with her. She can initiate a call to me to my phone number. When I try to initiate a call to her phone it says she not setup for FaceTime (or something like that). Because she's calling my phone number to FaceTime, that's why I'm concerned that I'm getting billed.

So, basically, how should we be initiating calls? By email address, phone number, either?

Thanks...
Hi there, enjoy your stay in the US.

As for your facetime question, When you have wifi connected. I believe is free whether using email or phone number. However i would think if your calling from 2 different countries, Shouldnt your be including the area code and such ? otherwise email should do the job.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Vizin
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Vizin; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Vizin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Chuchichan
macrumors regular

It's interesting that my wife can initiate the call but I can't. She's doing the same thing as me. She opens her contact list, selects my name and selects FaceTime and then my phone number without making any changes. I can initiate now if I use the call history, but not if I select her phone number.
Chuchichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:26 AM   #5
jdaniel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchichan View Post

It's interesting that my wife can initiate the call but I can't. She's doing the same thing as me. She opens her contact list, selects my name and selects FaceTime and then my phone number without making any changes. I can initiate now if I use the call history, but not if I select her phone number.
facetime it buggy at best...so I wont be surprised.. I set up facetime on my mac and I try to call myself.. the mac face time uses a mac id.. anyways sometimes I dont even get the request...so I wouldnt worry about it.

I assume you have your wide saved with the + and all that..

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting