Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I am nearing the 12th month of owning my MBP and wanted to get AppleCare.
Tried looking at ebay that used to have it so cheap but the choice seems very limited and the savings I remember to be much better.
I would still save a lot considering that EURUSD is 1.41 and the regular € is 1:1 the same as the $ price. Yet I was hoping for purchasing it at around $250 or lower.

Does anybody know what is going on or am I just blind or asking for too much? Did something change in Apple's policy? Does anybody know a shop or seller that is trustworthy and cheap (maybe in Asia with even more exchange rate savings)?

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I think there was a big to do on ebay awhile back with people selling fake copies of applecare or something. I think ebay cracked down on that and now there is not much on there. I remember something of the like happening though. I never really followed it that close.

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
There's a (most likely) legit seller by the name of Electronic King Inc on eBay who sells mbp 15/17'' AppleCare for 199GBP instead of retail 249BGP.

Send him an email, he doesn't sell those items publicly.

I cannot vouch for the guy but I have a computer on my way from him and will do vouch afterward (although feedbacks seem to speak loud about legitimacy).

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I think there was a big to do on ebay awhile back with people selling fake copies of applecare or something. I think ebay cracked down on that and now there is not much on there. I remember something of the like happening though. I never really followed it that close.

eBay is always suspect with AppleCare and any sort of warranty program.... I'd also honestly never buy a Mac on eBay, either, since the risk is much higher when you can't actually SEE what you're buying. But that's just me.

Ian.C

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Lancashire, UK
hi,

dont buy applecare from electronic king they dont work... i have 2 off them and apple refused them...

this is no reflection of electronic kings excellent service, i have bought many macbook off them very good price and delivery, spot on...

applecare - stay away....

thanks

Ian

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple has cracked down on Applecare resellers. You have to be an authorized reseller now which is why its so hard to find on flea bay all of a sudden. As someone else said B&H is the place to go now. FYI I bought 3 or 4 Applecare packages from eBay prior to this and had no issues with any of them

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
244 sound good enough. +8% US tax divided by 1.41 = 186 €
no so bad compared to 349 € but the shipping price is killer.

Is it true that all you need is the serial and the code and there is nothing else in the box. In this case I would ask a friend to ship it to his address and he mails me the codes. Shipping to Austria is $54. Quite a markup and I guess added our 20% import tax aka VAT it would destroy most if not all of the savings.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York

Is it true that all you need is the serial and the code and there is nothing else in the box. In this case I would ask a friend to ship it to his address and he mails me the codes. Shipping to Austria is $54. Quite a markup and I guess added our 20% import tax aka VAT it would destroy most if not all of the savings.
You could just ask your friend to scan the box for you, it should be good enough proof, especially if you combine it with proof of purchase.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

If you ship outside of NY state there is no US (sales) tax from B&H.

I'd get a scan of the receipt as well as of the box/codes. Just to be safe.

One concern - will Apple honor Applecare in Austria for a machine purchased there but with Applecare purchased in the US? I'd check at an Apple store - tell them you may be going to the US and ask if a US purchased warranty is valid in Austria. They may restrict geographically where the warranty can be activated; even though it will be world wide warranty.

As for MWS, that's up to you. That's what cash is for...

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
If you ship outside of NY state there is no US (sales) tax from B&H.
I never quite understood that. Don't you have to pay the tax of the respective state such as California or Indiana?
I'd check at an Apple store - tell them you may be going to the US and ask if a US purchased warranty is valid in Austria. They may restrict geographically where the warranty can be activated; even though it will be world wide warranty.
At least in every german forum they used to say it works that way without a problem. Because the codes are apparently not geographically restricted. I will ask around in a german forum if that has changed in any way in resent time just to make sure.
As for MWS, that's up to you. That's what cash is for...
MWS? What cash? I was about to pay by paypal hopefully they don't check the paypal address as long as the shipping address is US. Or else I will have to do some paypal paypal transfer or some odd work around. Transferring money to a US account I tried the inverse way and that was so expensive I took the money home in cash.

MuDPHuDStudent

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Hanover, NH
I never quite understood that. Don't you have to pay the tax of the respective state such as California or Indiana?

In theory, the person buying it has to pay the sales tax in those states. In practice, no one does. There was a Supreme Court decision years ago that said that stores don't have to collect sales tax on items sold over the phone/online if that store doesn't have a physical presence in the state where the product is being shipped. BH only has a presence in NY so it is not required to charge sales tax when the product is sent to any other state. This is the same reason that Amazon.com only charges sales tax in four states.

Or, you could just ship it to a state that has no sales tax (like New Hampshire and Oregon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.