Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:15 AM   #1
capriseyhaze
macrumors regular

Turn off ping!!!!

My iPad 2 had subpar battery life since I started using it 3 days ago. But after reading a thread on here that said the ping service was killing the battery life of devices running 4.3. So go to settings>general>restrictions and turn ping off. I did it last night and my battery is doing great. Normally after about a hour of use I'm at about 80% but now after nearly 2 hours of use I'm still at 95%. Good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:55 AM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

My Restrictions were disabled to begin with.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Charlie Sheen
Banned

I also disabled in app purchasis because i don't want to end up paying for some overpriced video or whatever.

Edit: i ment of course by accident.
Charlie Sheen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
My Restrictions were disabled to begin with.
Right, but this doesn't mean that the "feature is off". It means that the restriction is off. Turning on the restriction will turn off the feature. This is what the OP is saying. If you don't have any restrictions, it means everything is running.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:03 AM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Right, but this doesn't mean that the "feature is off". It means that the restriction is off. Turning on the restriction will turn off the feature. This is what the OP is saying. If you don't have any restrictions, it means everything is running.
Gotcha, so enable restrictions and then turn off ping. Any other ones I should turn off for battery's sake?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:04 AM   #6
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Gotcha, so enable restrictions and then turn off ping. Any other ones I should turn off for battery's sake?
Power.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
gameface
Banned

Did this the other night and it had no effect on my 3Gs. Had 100% going to bed, 83% upon waking and now I have 55% and only listened to music and did light web browsing on the short bus ride to work. Battery completely went to **** once I updated. Haven't tested my iPad 1 yet as I let it dwindle down to nothing and put it on the charger last night.
gameface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:06 PM   #8
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Ping's the only one that really uses power when you're not using it. The others are mainly for security reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
Power.
hahah :-)
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:22 PM   #9
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface View Post
Did this the other night and it had no effect on my 3Gs. Had 100% going to bed, 83% upon waking and now I have 55% and only listened to music and did light web browsing on the short bus ride to work. Battery completely went to **** once I updated. Haven't tested my iPad 1 yet as I let it dwindle down to nothing and put it on the charger last night.
Double check your email settings and make sure they are correct. You might have push turned on there unintentionally.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:32 PM   #10
gameface
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoDDz View Post
Double check your email settings and make sure they are correct. You might have push turned on there unintentionally.
I do. BUT... I always have it set on hourly. I know this drains the battery more than without it on, but I always had it like this and now the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:48 PM   #11
JohnDG
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface View Post
Put it in Airplane mode before putting it to sleep.

jdg
JohnDG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:26 PM   #12
eclipseblur954
macrumors regular

Or leave your phone on the charger over night

Airplane mode = might as well turn it off, I can't miss calls
eclipseblur954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Xultar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseblur954 View Post
Or leave your phone on the charger over night

Airplane mode = might as well turn it off, I can't miss calls
isn't he talking about his ipad?

I mean if someone sends you an email@ 3am i'm sure it isn't an emergency.
Xultar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:54 PM   #14
gameface
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDG View Post
Put it in Airplane mode before putting it to sleep.

jdg
I think you're missing the point. I had no problems with battery life before under my normal usage. I was satisfied with my battery life. I am having battery life issues now with the new OS under the exact same usage which shouldn't be the case.

Last edited by gameface; Mar 21, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:02 PM   #15
jb007clone
macrumors 6502

I have not seen any battery related issues in 4.3. I had wifi on all day yesterday through early this morning and I still had power left. I've heard turning off Ping is a placebo. Can anyone provide actual evidence of it increasing battery performance?
jb007clone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:16 PM   #16
eagleglen
macrumors 6502

Can anyone explain what the ping feature does and why you would need it turned on? Would turning it off effect getting push notifications?
eagleglen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:18 PM   #17
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleglen View Post
Can anyone explain what the ping feature does and why you would need it turned on? Would turning it off effect getting push notifications?
Ping is Apple's sorry attempt at a music-based social network. Disabling it seemed to cut my hourly battery idle discharge by a third and also caused me to save a bit of data, as well. It doesn't affect push notifications.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:36 PM   #18
eagleglen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
Ping is Apple's sorry attempt at a music-based social network. Disabling it seemed to cut my hourly battery idle discharge by a third and also caused me to save a bit of data, as well. It doesn't affect push notifications.
Duh... thanks for the quick response. I forgot about Apple's Ping service in iTunes. I was thinking it referred how the iPad connected to the internet. Guess Ill turn it off then since my gut feeling is that my new iPad 2 has a slightly shorter battery life than my original iPad.
eagleglen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:19 PM   #19
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoDDz View Post
Double check your email settings and make sure they are correct. You might have PULL turned on there unintentionally.
There fixed that for you

Push won't affect battery life all that much... 8 hours into my day with no usage and all my push services on, including email and I'm still at 100% right now.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:06 PM   #20
capriseyhaze
macrumors regular

I started this post at 11:15 and I hade 95% it is now 5:03 and I'm still at 77%. I've been surfing the web, on facebook, and about 12 YouTube videos. Normally I would have been under 50 probaly mid 40's. So yea turn off ping.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:57 PM   #21
jb007clone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriseyhaze View Post
I started this post at 11:15 and I hade 95% it is now 5:03 and I'm still at 77%. I've been surfing the web, on facebook, and about 12 YouTube videos. Normally I would have been under 50 probaly mid 40's. So yea turn off ping.
Sound like something is wrong with your iPad. All you're doing when you turn off ping in the restrictions is disabling the use of it -- so, for example, your child wouldn't be able to use the ping social service. THAT DOES NOT mean that ping is continually running. I have not setup up ping, have not used ping in iTunes or in iTunes on the iPad and have not enabled restrictions and disabled it and I have not noticed any poor battery performance. Disabling ping is a placebo. Being at %50 after six hours of using wifi heavily is pretty good. You are supposed to get 10 hours of wifi so that's really on par.
jb007clone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:20 PM   #22
capriseyhaze
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007clone View Post
Sound like something is wrong with your iPad. All you're doing when you turn off ping in the restrictions is disabling the use of it -- so, for example, your child wouldn't be able to use the ping social service. THAT DOES NOT mean that ping is continually running. I have not setup up ping, have not used ping in iTunes or in iTunes on the iPad and have not enabled restrictions and disabled it and I have not noticed any poor battery performance. Disabling ping is a placebo. Being at %50 after six hours of using wifi heavily is pretty good. You are supposed to get 10 hours of wifi so that's really on par.
Yea but I was at 50% after 6 hours but since I disabled ping after 6 hours of heavy wifi use, I'm in the early 90's late 80's. So it's doing something.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad