Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, reports indicated that Apple was seeking to open a new retail store in Manhattan's landmark Grand Central Terminal, with one report suggesting that the store could be Apple's largest yet.

112459-roseman_grand_central_tweet.jpg

But according to a new report from The New York Observer, Apple has backpedaled from those plans in the face of logistical issues and other constraints.
Apple's plans to bring the world's largest iStore to Grand Central always seemed to defy laws of taste, landmarks preservation and possibly even physics.

Apparently, Apple has reached the same conclusion, because an anonymous source close to the M.T.A. has confirmed that the company has backed out of plans to bring computers to commuters in an 16,000-square-foot store on the balconies of Grand Central's main terminal.
The report notes that the cancelation was teased last week by real estate broker Jeffrey Roseman, although the move was confirmed by sources reporting to The New York Observer.

Article Link: Apple Backs Out of Plans for Grand Central Terminal Retail Store

muledoggie

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
It's a wonder any business can afford major construction or renovation in NYC with the unions, taxes, etc.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Apple's plans to bring the world's largest iStore to Grand Central always seemed to defy laws of taste

...because the Starbucks and Rite Aid in GCS are so tasteful? What?

Masteroftime

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Yeah, I have found some pretty good sources that say a deal is still in the process of being negotiated. I somehow don't think something like this would be canceled due to logistical issues. I could however see it being postponed. Though I can say, from first hand research, that the MTA does have a long approval process for any type of building projects within the station. That doesn't mean it is not possible, or that such projects violate the laws of physics, or building regulations.

On a side note, my source was better than the New York Observer, and confirmed that negotiations were in the process of taking place, but that nothing has yet to be confirmed. Take this article, as well as my comment as a rumor, since that is precisely what they are. Odds' still remain that the deal is in the process of being negotiated. Until an official statement is made, don't believe anything. There is a reason this website is called MacRumors, and not MacPressRelease.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
...because the Starbucks and Rite Aid in GCS are so tasteful? What?

starbucks will rarely change the outside of the store they are in and it will match the surrounding architecture. if the new broadway store is any indication, apple probably wanted a huge renovation full of futuristic and modernistic glass that would stand out

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
starbucks will rarely change the outside of the store they are in and it will match the surrounding architecture. if the new broadway store is any indication, apple probably wanted a huge renovation full of futuristic and modernistic glass that would stand out

Yeah... but if you build it they will come and pay you tons of fees and increase tax revenue. NY needs the money.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Seems to be a click-bait article.

It's a rumor. It's not like Apple announced it's building a store there.

Sonny1

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York, NY
Sky falling!

Must be something wrong with me.
Can't figure out where the all-glass store would be located.
(I'm trying, and failing, to care.)
:p

doubleusn

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Did they officially announce the store?

Can you 'officially back out'' of something if you never said it in the first place?

DJHonda84

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
At first I was for this, but I had assumed it would be squeezed in with the rest of the stores like they are in the shopping malls I've visited elsewhere.

But now that I see a mention of the balconies as a location, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek:

For Apple to spit in the face of landmark preservation, particularly at the place that started the national landmark preservation movement, would be to effectively declare themselves >Jesus.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It's a wonder any business can afford major construction or renovation in NYC with the unions, taxes, etc.

I would imagine they got a load of roadblocks coming from the political institutions involved in the matter, with lots of people wanting to get a piece of the pie to close the deal. Too much crap to deal with it, not worth the trouble.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
A real estate broker teased? Really? Are we all back in elementary (grade school for Americans)?

Please stop using immature language in your stories. I am sick and tired of the following words in a tech site: teased, outed. Neither belong in a story about technology. This might be a "rumour" site about technology but it is not a "gossip" rag so stop writing stories like it was one. You cannot "out" a piece of hardware, software or service.
:rolleyes:

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
At first I was for this, but I had assumed it would be squeezed in with the rest of the stores like they are in the shopping malls I've visited elsewhere.

But now that I see a mention of the balconies as a location, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek:

For Apple to spit in the face of landmark preservation, particularly at the place that started the national landmark preservation movement, would be to effectively declare themselves >Jesus.

Apple already works with preservation authorities around the world - Apple Covent Garden in London, for example:

4864960018_15f4728a07.jpg

which is in a Grade II listed building, so structure etc can't be changed without the agreement of English Heritage.

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Put it at the WTC mall. The store will look better than the skyscrapers that are being built down there.

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Who would want to put a store in that overpriced building anyway. Food & clothes are 3x higher plus taxes. NY ain't what it use to be in fact I don't miss it because I find the same things in places cheaper & less taxes. Apple could do better. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.