Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retroshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
i recently bought a powerbook g4, the newest model with the 1.67ghz processor etc.. anyways, the other day i was working on it and a small stone figure fell from my shelf onto the case, right under the left speaker where i think the hard drive is located. now, this may be a complete coincidence, but since then, ituned has been lockign up on certain songs, some of which i have written down and tested in other programs and gotten the same result.

the falling object made a small dent (ill post pictures if nessacary) and i think it may be the cause of my problems.

its obvious the drive is screwed because when the song skips, you can hear the drive making noises while trying to read the sectors. it would be fine if it was one or two songs, but its more then that, ive counted about 15 instances on diffeerent songs. as well as that, i was listening to one song, and it started to freeze itunes and finder locked up. then the drive started screaming and the read/write heads sounded as if they were clunking against the case. not pleasant... anyone have any ideas? ive runa full hardware test from the osx cd, and im considering backing up my data on an external HDD and then reformatting. please help me!

EDIT: ok, so ive backed up my data onto my ipod, and ive been rewriting over the drive with 0's using the disk utility on the OS install CD. everyting is fine until the progress bar gets to about 10%, then suddenly the drive starts franticly clicking and the read/write haeds clunk against the side of the drive enclosure. now its stuck at one point and the bar hasnt moved since about an hour ago. this cant be good.

retroshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
yep i should have done that before i did a reformat.either way, i got amost of my data except for about 100 songs that i had somewhere else, and a few other files/applications. its safe to say that the drive is dead. it must be under warranty because i have a 1yr applecare plan and its only 1 month old!

by the way, does anyone happen to know where the hard drive is located on the powerbook 17 inch? i looked at an onliine picture of a powerbook and it looks liek its in the middle. the object fell on the left side, under where the speaker is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.