Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The USB connection is lower voltage than the wall plug charger. It's always going to charge slower through a computer than through the brick. If you want faster charging, use the brick.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Seems to take in the 3-4 hour range for me to get from 10-20% battery up to 100 using the wall charger.

I never bother with charging through my PC or PC laptop as they just don't give enough juice.

The battery lasts 10 hours though, so I can live with it taking a bit longer to charge than my other gadgets. I just charge it over night anyway.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
yes it takes longer to charge on through computer vs. using the charging plug it came with. although the orignal ipad seemed to charge faster through the computer.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
they barely charge at all through the computer, your suppose to use the wall charger. The usb port doesnt give enough power to charge the ipad and if you're trying to use it while charging through usb youll actually see the battery drain.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
it depends on which computer's usb ports you're charging from as well. 95% of usb ports out there will only supply 500ma. the ipad's ideal charging rate is 2a (2,000ma) however, recent macs can supply 1a and above, depending on when they were manufactured.

another tip: if you're using a usb port below 2a, turning off the ipad can help a lot. plug it into the port, then turn off the ipad. additionally, the screen can be the difference in charging or not charging in some cases. this is kind of a catch 22 because it will only charge when the screen is off, but you can only check if it's charging by turning on the screen.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
If I'm not mistaken :confused: the battery is bigger than the iPad 1 i think that is how they got the battery life to remain the same with the faster processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.