Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Before I try to login tom the App store on other devices (family, friends) and share the apps that vie purchased, I'd like to confirm that I am actually allowed to share purchases.

For example, I've purchased the MLB at bat 2011 app for I believe $14.99. Can I simply login to the mac app store on any other device and confirm my account and purchase again and then device has full individual access to the app? I just want to make sure that I won't get billed again for it.

If I can do this, I was wondering why Apple would allow it and not restrict it to just one device. Also, once I login on another device, does that mean that the device will have full access to my account and can make purchases with it?

Thanks.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
You can login to any iOS device and download your previous purchases at no cost. However, there is a problem if you try to install it on a device that isn't yours.

If you login to a friend's or family member's iOS device and download At Bat 2011 (or any other app), they will have full access to the app. This works even if you logout and they login to their own accounts. The PROBLEM is when an update to the app comes out or they delete it by accident and can't reinstall it. Since it's not part of their apple account, they cannot sync it to iTunes. If they try to redownload it, they will have to purchase it on their account. Also, they will not receive any updates unless you let they stay logged into your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.