Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Sues Amazon Over 'App Store' Trademark

Bloomberg reports that Apple has sued Amazon over the use of the term "App Store". Apple filed the complaint on March 18th and is asking for a court order to prevent Amazon from using the "App Store" name.
Quote:
“Amazon has begun improperly using Apple’s App Store mark in connection with Amazon’s mobile software developer program,” Apple said in the complaint. Amazon also plans to use the name with a mobile software download service, the complaint states.
Amazon is introducing its own marketplace for Android apps and has called it the Amazon Appstore.

Apple originally applied for the "App Store" trademark in 2008 and finally got approval in 2010. Microsoft has been opposed to the mark claiming it is a generic term -- a position that Apple has argued against. Apple claims to have contacted Amazon three times demanding that they change their name, but Amazon has yet to provide a "substantive response". Trademark owners are expected to defend their trademarks against infringement in order to avoid becoming a generic term.

Article Link: Apple Sues Amazon Over 'App Store' Trademark
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Looks like they're looking to make some headlines via court battles... (Amazon, that is.)
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:51 PM   #3
macjonny1
macrumors 6502a

Since 2008, the term app store has indeed become more generic. Good luck fighting this Apple. It's the way it is now.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:51 PM   #4
rmwebs
Banned

Apple need to get over it, this is getting pathetic.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:51 PM   #5
FFArchitect
macrumors regular

"App" is quickly becoming a generic term.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:53 PM   #6
sammich
macrumors 601

So how is 'Windows' not a generic term?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:53 PM   #7
wordoflife
macrumors 604

App Store vs Appstore.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:54 PM   #8
R2D2 xx
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

also, amazon is spelling it with no space between app and store as in appstore.
R2D2 xx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:54 PM   #9
ten-oak-druid
macrumors 68000

App is short for "applecation" rather than application.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:57 PM   #10
RebeccaL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjonny1 View Post
Since 2008, the term app store has indeed become more generic. Good luck fighting this Apple. It's the way it is now.

The issue is here is that Apple has a trademark on the term "App Store". Just like Microsoft has a trademark on Windows. Even if they are generic terms being trademarked make it illegal for other companies to use them.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:59 PM   #11
altecXP
macrumors 65816

Hey look, Apples being stupid again!
altecXP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:00 PM   #12
DaGreat01
macrumors 6502a

Good....

No one ever said the word "app" until Apple's App Store...
DaGreat01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:00 PM   #13
samcraig
macrumors G5

Apple can have their Apple App Store and Amazon can have their amazon appstore

No one will be confused. And the term app store shouldn't be trademarked.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:02 PM   #14
jnc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjonny1 View Post
"It's the way it is now" BECAUSE of Apple, lol. And if it's protected, Apple has every right to pursue this.

Amazon, start your lawyer engines.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Hey Amazon, here's some freebies:

Amazon...
  • Application Store
  • BunchoApps
  • Copycats
  • Downloads
  • Marketplace
  • MyPlace
  • Software Downloads
  • Software Store
  • Software Warehouse
  • SoftWhere
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:03 PM   #16
lilo777
Banned

Is there any tech company in the world that is not being sued by Apple? I have to say that with Apple's R&D budget being as miniscule as it is they really make too much fuss about their patents.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:07 PM   #17
garyhoare
macrumors newbie

It's really unfair that Apple would expect the Android system to do its own R&D and marketing, when it's so much easier and cheaper to just copy what Apple is doing.
garyhoare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:07 PM   #18
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Is there any tech company in the world that is not being sued by Apple? I have to say that with Apple's R&D budget being as miniscule as it is they really make too much fuss about their patents.
And conversely, Apple is being sued by plenty of organizations for trademarks, patent and other infringements....

The only winners here, truly are corporate lawyers. At the end of the day - the consumer doesn't care and really isn't affected
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:08 PM   #19
milatchi
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to milatchi
Thank goodness for Apple!
I'm glad someone (Apple) is willing to stand up for the little guy against big evil companies that bully people like Amazon.com does!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:10 PM   #20
Edmoil12
macrumors member

The term 'App Store' is about as generic as the word 'iPod'. People still refer to mp3 players generically as iPods, and I don't see this as anything different than if Apple sued if Google came out with an mp3 player that they called an iPod. Apple owns a trademark on the term 'app store', and it is fully within their rights to sue if someone else uses it if they see it as a threat. They don't hold a monopoly on digital software stores in general, so I don't see why amazon has to use the words 'app store' for any other reason than to leech off of apple's brand.
Edmoil12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:11 PM   #21
tomozj
macrumors newbie

When someone says "the App Store", I think a lot of people will think about Apple's App Store.

That's the only legitimate reason I can think of which justifies Apple owning this trademark..
tomozj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:11 PM   #22
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by milatchi View Post
Thank goodness for Apple!
I'm glad someone (Apple) is willing to stand up for the little guy against big evil companies that bully people like Amazon.com does!
Say what? Apple is no longer (nor can anyone refer to it as) the "little guy" Are you serious?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:12 PM   #23
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc View Post
"It's the way it is now" BECAUSE of Apple, lol. And if it's protected, Apple has every right to pursue this.

Amazon, start your lawyer engines.
Exactly!

You know, Kleenex is a pretty generic term now, so any other facial tissue manufacturer should feel free to appropriate it as well, it's all cool, man.

Come to think about it, Coke is such a ubiquitous term for a cola soft drinks these days, other cola manufacturers should feel free to invent their own brand and call it Koke, instead. They can even write it in that same cursive font and everything. Kumbaya, can't we all just get along?
gatearray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:12 PM   #24
ptsube
macrumors 6502

It is not going to hold up in court. App store is pretty much the definition of genericized trademark.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:12 PM   #25
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
At the end of the day - the consumer doesn't care and really isn't affected
Tell that to Psystar!
/
/
/

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion