Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omniatlas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
I've checked the system profiler and my macbook air 11" ultimate (4 gb ram) is running with the 32-bit kernel. I would like to run it at 64-bit -- is there a way to force it to do this? Will there be any noticeable difference in performance?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't believe there is a way to force the MacBook Air to use the 64-bit kernel (holding down the 6 and 4 keys doesn't work). In any case, with only 2 or 4 GB of RAM, the 64-bit kernel wouldn't make that much of a difference.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
There is really no benefit of a 64bit kernel, on the MBA or most other macs, also long as the apps can run 64bit then all is fine. Also keep in mind not all drive drivers are 64bit, and might have issue running with a 64bit kernel.

umassche

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Macbook Air (4GB) won't boot with 64-bit kernel

I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.7. on new Macbook Air (4GB). It won't boot with 64 bit kernel no matter what! my need is not a performance problem. I need to install "Togl" from source code and it won't get through unless the computer is in 64 bit kernel mode. It can be forced to boot in "64 bit kernel boot mode" but will still run with "32 bit kernel" (according to "Startup Mode Selector.app"). So the "uname -m" command gives "i386" as output. I need to get the output to be "x86_64" to be able to compile Togl. Can someone help please???

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
This has been discussed before. There is no way to get the MBA kernel to run 64 bit without hex editing some system files.

However in Lion the kernel will run 64 bit mode. It's not a hardware limitation it's software.

What is Togl? No app should know or care what the kernel is running as. Apps can be run in 64 bit mode without the kernel running in 64 bit mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.