Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

China Times reports (via GadgetsDNA) that the iPhone 5 has entered trial production and is due for production in the 3rd Quarter of this year. Other details from the Chinese newspaper seem to echo previous rumors that the new iPhone 5 will have a metal chassis to improve antenna sensitivity as well as a 4-inch touch screen.

031404-iphone5.jpg

Many of the rumors so far seem to be pointing to an iPhone 4-like frame for the new iPhone 5. Looking back at old rumors, an iPhone 5 parts video that surfaced back in January may have actually been an early look at the iPhone 5 casing.

That video actually first revealed the new antenna dividers found on the Verizon iPhone, but also included a SIM card slot that does not appear in the Verizon iPhone. It's believed that the iPhone 5 may support both CDMA and GSM networks in one phone. The Verizon iPhone has already been found to use a Qualcomm chip that can support both networks.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Due in Q3, 4-Inch Screen, Metal Chassis?

Last edited by a moderator:

sbcooler

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
NY
Well if they use that Qualcomm chip that can do GSM and CDMA on 1 chip, I predict Apple's profit margins may go up on the iPhone a bit which should simplify their manufacturing, distribution and sales. Bump that stock up. Apple is the most undervalued stock in the S&P 500. With a PE of around 19, and soon to be 16 (assuming no stock appreciation for 1 month when the next quarters earnings are released) and a growth rate of 70% year over year and a future growth rate of at least 50% for the next 1-2 years, Apple has a PEG ratio of around 0.3. The stock could easily double over the next 18 months.

mikeapple

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Where is the evidence of a 4 inch screen???... if they get 4 inch screen but keep the same form factor and dimensions... that would be incredible

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whatever it is, im gonna buy it. 3 more months on AT&T, then hello Verizon! I can see the light. Att was the worst thing about the iPhone

timeimp

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Well well, European standards to make a difference! I think if you look at the 2nd picture, (to me) a 30-pin dock connector is present and that little grove? Looks like microUSB to comply with European charging standards. Only time will tell I guess...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Where is the evidence of a 4 inch screen???... if they get 4 inch screen but keep the same form factor and dimensions... that would be incredible

No real evidence. A few claims of a 4" screen here and there from Chinese sources.

arn

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
Well well, European standards to make a difference! I think if you look at the 2nd picture, (to me) a 30-pin dock connector is present and that little grove? Looks like microUSB to comply with European charging standards. Only time will tell I guess...
I believe the second shot shows the SIM card slot, no?

thobie

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
4 inch is too small. We need atleast the .3 inch more to compete with HTC and others.

What comes to iPhone 4 screensize, it is straight from 2007... :( Would be wonderful if Apple could introduce iPhone "nano" and iPhone "pro".

insider-man

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Funny stuff!

So a picture of the CDMA and GSM antenna enclosures together then a close up of two GSM antenna enclosures . .. . sure this MUST be the iPhone 5! :D

:apple:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Funny stuff!

So a picture of the CDMA and GSM antenna enclosures together then a close up of two GSM antenna enclosures . .. . sure this MUST be the iPhone 5! :D

:apple:

The two photos are of the same two enclosures. The one you are calling the "CDMA" enclosure has a SIM slot in it.

arn

Jbrumz85

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

4inch screen thinner lighter A5 chip and 8mp camera

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
So the phone will be wider for the 4 inch display? Or will the display just be taller.

If taller, then maybe they are adding something to the iOS interface for the added space. Changing the resolution and ratio would require developers to re-design every app.

impact_blue

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2005

I was wondering about the microUSB and if it would be present in the iPhone5. I kinda hope it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.