Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091729-ipad_2_hand.jpg

Apple today officially confirmed that it will launch sales of the iPad in 25 new countries on Friday: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK."While competitors are still struggling to catch up with our first iPad, we've changed the game again with iPad 2," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're experiencing amazing demand for iPad 2 in the US, and customers around the world have told us they can't wait to get their hands on it. We appreciate everyone's patience and we are working hard to build enough iPads for everyone."As with the U.S. launch, online sales will begin at 1:00 AM Friday in each country, with in-store availability set for 5:00 PM at Apple retail stores and select resellers.

An Apple spokesperson had confirmed yesterday that the UK launch remained on track for Friday amid worries that the company would delay its international launches in the face of short supplies affecting delivery to its U.S. customers.

Apple also announced today that the iPad 2 will launch in Hong Kong, Singapore and other countries in April, with even more countries to follow in the months ahead. Japan had been set to see the iPad 2 debut with the first wave of international launches, but Apple last week delayed the launch there in the wake of the earthquake and associated disasters. Apple has yet to announce a new launch date for the iPad 2 in Japan.

Article Link: Apple Officially Confirms iPad 2 Launches in 25 Countries on Friday

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
So is it possible there are plenty of stock, just being hoarded for overseas?

It may just depend on if there's any manufacturing or product differences unique to each market. We can't assume there's anything being "held back" - they may have been making some for other countries already. The same iPad sold in, say, the UK, may not be able to be sold in the US, obviously.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
This is one of three threads I have ever voted negative on. If you can't supply the initial country, how are you going to supply all of these? I am not one to believe the 'hoarding' concept that everyone else has complained of but this even has me suspicious. I know we are not the only country to get it but if you can't take care of the one that your company chooses to release it to first, how do you take care of all the others?

The only positive of this might be a few less scalpers since the device will now be available in some of the overseas places where they are being resold now. Hopefully this will help those who have been to Apple stores over and over again only to be let down because of the same few people buying over and over again to resell.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Americans: "What! We still haven't gotten all of ours yet!!!"

Everyone else on Earth: "Finally."

Asian gangs buying up iPad 2s at the Fifth Avenue store: "Curses, foiled again!"

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
So Pavel in Czech Rep is going to get his iPad 2 before I get the one I ordered 11 days ago. How drole!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
This is one of three threads I have ever voted negative on. If you can't supply the initial country, how are you going to supply all of these? I am not one to believe the 'hoarding' concept that everyone else has complained of but this even has me suspicious. I know we are not the only country to get it but if you can't take care of the one that your company chooses to release it to first, how do you take care of all the others?

The only positive of this might be a few less scalpers since the device will now be available in some of the overseas places where they are being resold now. Hopefully this will help those who have been to Apple stores over and over again only to be let down because of the same few people buying over and over again to resell.

Take a napkin, cookie and a glass of milk.

I mean that in the saddest possible way.

I am sure Apple have put aside stock for the launch on the 25th, if that means some Americans have a hard time getting an iPad, tough luck.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
They say sales will begin at 1am in each country. Canada has 5 1/2 timezones. I wonder which time zone they will use? EST or Atlantic (which is an hour earlier). Surely not the Newfie time zone, which is 30min earlier still.

tringo

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
I want to know what that 1AM represents. Apple California time or Eastern time in Canada.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
If its anything like the botched launch in the US with the long waits, the other countries will be waiting a LONG LONG TIME.

James

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
- Why would apple care if they sell to a US or a European customer, money is money, in fact they probably make even more money on th EU iPads than on the American ones

-With an international launch this close to the US launch I'm sure most boxes have already been distributed to the resellers and already include the European manuals, power cables etc. It would be impossible, or at least very expensive, to recall those units and ship them to the US

kes601

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
Not cool as far as I am concerned. We ordered 5 iPad2s on March 7 via our educational institution account (could order ahead of time with it), estimated ship time was 1 to 2 weeks. Yesterday made 2 weeks and we now have an estimate of April 5. So, that would put us at 4 weeks, yet they are still launching internationally?

Am very interested in the HDMI/VGA mirroring option for our teachers to hook up to projectors, but can't test the feature out until they arrive.

Not cool Apple.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
Arrgghhh....could really do without having to take Friday afternoon off just to stand around in a shopping centre. Would have much preferred to have gotten there bright and early in the morning and been all done by 10am.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
And why would anyone vote this news as negative ? Trolls ? :confused:

EDIT: ok never mind, I think 1700 hours isn't something many like. Hmmm.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Not proof, but suggestive, that the Apple Hype Machine manipulated US availability to make it appear as the supply was more constrained as it really was.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
And for the Americans moaning that they shouldn't be releasing them internationally as they haven't gotten theirs, just be grateful they released them over there 2 weeks earlier. If they had done a proper international release then no-one would have one yet and everyone would be waiting come the 25th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.