Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Turquoise Angel

I haven't even approached being close to done, but I've got the basic look of it down. Can you please tell me what you think of it so far?

P.S. Keep in mind all the code will validate when I'm done.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it might be better to break the items up into sub-categories rather than just have all of the thumbnails on one page, its very simple so far though, are you planning to add a lot more to it?

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
It looks pretty smooth. Good job. The suggestion I would make is increasing the size of each photo about 15-20%

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
It looks more like a 'blog than a place of business. Accessibility is king, confusing the prospective buyer with artsy concepts is not a good idea.

Also, just for reference, you may want to tidy up the item CSS by putting in an outer, dummy div with an ID, and using:
Code:
#id div{ properties }
...rather than specifying each individually.

But you've already coded it, so I guess it wouldn't be saving time now ;)
edit: Actually, you might want to add:
Code:
#id img{ height:50px; }
...especially since you're validating to XHTML.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Maybe if you made the pictures so you can click on them and a get a bigger picture, because if that is all they get to look at before buying it is a bit small. I know when i buy online i always want pictures i can see details. But other than that it looks great!

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
trainguy77 said:
Maybe if you made the pictures so you can click on them and a get a bigger picture, because if that is all they get to look at before buying it is a bit small. I know when i buy online i always want pictures i can see details. But other than that it looks great!

Actually, when it is done you will be able to go to individual product pages. Thanks for the comment :)

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
I actually like the calm feel and the simplicity of the site.

Do you guys write all the code, or can you use apps like Dreamweaver (or even Quark XPress?) to make good, validating CSS sites?

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
I like the minimalism. Very bloggy. Maybe there's a subtle way to add Native American style to it? Maybe via a font choice or a logo?

I agree, bigger pics or at least less gray around them wasting space, make them clickable too.

I don't like to scroll down when I'm looking at a site. Maybe you could start with your "about us" text, a featured fetish and piece of jewelry and a link under each to get to the pics of all the fetish pieces and another link to jewelry.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I love simple designs, but I think your design is actually too simple.

I'd throw something unique into the pot.

scem0

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Ok, now I'm paranoid! All I'm getting is:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"

The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
scem0 said:
I love simple designs, but I think your design is actually too simple.

exactly. i recommend a sidebar where you can choose the sub categories. you can also have news, a search or anything else if you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.