Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1
OceanFrog
macrumors regular

Airport Extreme - did I just buy an outdated model?

I'm a bit confused here ... hoping you guys can help.

Last week I was in a situation where I needed to buy an Airport Extreme asap. I always buy directly from Apple but didn't have time so bought from my nearest bricks and mortar store. The serial number of the Extreme I bought is MC340B/A, and the model no. is A1354. Is this the most up to date model?

Also, when is the next version of the Airport Extreme expected?
OceanFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
ddehr026
macrumors 6502

No I think you're fine. model 340 is the newest "dual band" model. I am not sure when the next model is coming out but I think I am holding out for the next one.
ddehr026 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFrog View Post
I'm a bit confused here ... hoping you guys can help.

Last week I was in a situation where I needed to buy an Airport Extreme asap. I always buy directly from Apple but didn't have time so bought from my nearest bricks and mortar store. The serial number of the Extreme I bought is MC340B/A, and the model no. is A1354. Is this the most up to date model?

Also, when is the next version of the Airport Extreme expected?
It's hard to say when the next version is coming out. I have the current version. One way you can tell if you have the latest version is in Airport Utility if it offers to let you set up a "guest" network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
No I think you're fine. model 340 is the newest "dual band" model. I am not sure when the next model is coming out but I think I am holding out for the next one.
I picked up mine not long after the current model came out. I'm delighted with it. I had a Time Capsule that used to get "befuddled" by something my Comcrap cable modem was doing but I've only had to reset my AE once or twice over a period where my 1st Gen TC would have gotten itself befuddled a half dozen or more times. That's the real criteria. If the features you need are included, go for it. Why suffer with a less than ideal router waiting for Apple to get around to updating AE? Then again, if I'd bought my AE a week or two before the model with guest networking came out, I'd be pretty upset because that feature was important to me. If a new model comes out with some sort of ability to streaming my itunes stuff to my phone on my limited data plan, I could care less. So it really depends on whether the newer model comes with a feature that is important to you or not.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
ddehr026
macrumors 6502

A combination of not having the cash right now (just finished grad school, still looking for job) and not really "needing" it at the moment, I guess.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
A combination of not having the cash right now (just finished grad school, still looking for job) and not really "needing" it at the moment, I guess.
Nothing wrong with waiting till you really need it / can afford it. Good luck on finding a job!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
OceanFrog
macrumors regular

Thanks guys ... really appreciate the answers.
OceanFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Brien
macrumors 68000

I just bought an AE about a month ago through the refurbished section. I love it. It's infinitely better than any other router I've ever used. I have the dual-band model (latest version) which was apparently released in October 2009, so I wouldn't plan on an update anytime soon. There haven't been any real advancements in wi-fi since n, so yeah, no worries.
Brien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
hudsonCrossing
macrumors member

Got mine almost 2 weeks ago (with the new iPad2) I just plug it in and that's it...no complains so far
hudsonCrossing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:52 AM   #9
ddehr026
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
Nothing wrong with waiting till you really need it / can afford it. Good luck on finding a job!
Thanks! Tough market

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice