Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LawyerBarbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Wasn't satisfied with my first 32GB wi-fi Ipad 2, so I was able to hook up with a fellow MR member who sold me a Verizon 32gb at cost (fantastic guy and generally a good group here, glad to see we don't gouge each other). I'm really excited to recieve it, but I'm now having second thoughts about the Verizon thing. My Ipad 1 is of course AT&T and I have been generally satisfied with it, so I am getting a little concerned about being locked into a Verizon ipad. Not only are their plans generally more expensive, but the "no activation fees at launch" story they are telling now makes me concerned that they will at some point get squirrley with the data plans. I have also been seeing that AT&T has been beating the Verizon model in speed tests (which I wouldn't think would be the case since I was of the impression that AT&T was less reliable).

How has everyone found their Verizon Ipad 2's thus far? Are my fears unfounded? Or shall I flip this one and wait out an AT&T model? Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have the ATT myself, but I have to wonder if VZW is in the position to start imposing an activation fee given their data costs a bit more than ATT already.
Also if they do start an activation fee, it would have to be a one time charge and not each time service is restarted after a hiatus. That would turn people away for sure.

I suppose if you are really nervous go ahead an get the smallest bucket of data for a month so that your SIM is activated, use the data & then cancel service.

As for ATT vs VZW data quality it's been the case that ATT is faster but less reliable and VZW is slower but more reliable and available. Of course faster is relative, and I've been in crowded places like a stadium where ATT data is a complete no show.

LawyerBarbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts, I agree that when I'm at work (can't go to my favorite websites on my work comp) in a relatively metropolitian area...I can't get coverage with AT&T.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Sent an email to Verizon to see if they would match AT&T's promo. Here's their response:

"My name is Monica and I am happy to assist you today with your email inquiry regards to promotional data offers on the iPad 2 . *We are currently not offering any promotional offers where your data would be free on the iPad 2 . *The free data promotion AT&T offers is a free month of 2 gb data *when you sign up for 2gb dataconnect personal plan. *The maximum credit is $25 . This Offer is not available for on-tablet activation.
Our data options are month-to-month 3G service activated via built in client. The data options are as follows :
$20 *for 1 GB
$35 for 3 GB
$50 for 5 GB
$80 for 10 GB
We also offer *Alerts built into the client for data usage and replenishment. Alerts occur at 50 MB and 25 MB data remaining . We offer more data packages to fit your needs . AT&T only offers two data packages . If you had to add more data to your package with AT&T you would end up paying $50 for 4 gb with AT&T . You would *get 5 gb for $ 50 with our data options. *You get more data with Verizon for the same amount of money with AT&T not to mention better coverage. ******* *******
In closing , I hope the information provided is helpful in explaining how you can get more Data for your money with Verizon Wireless.
We apologize for the delayed response to your email . We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Customer Service 800-922-0204 .
Sincerely,
Monica
Verizon Wireless, Customer Service
Internet Response Team"

thompson11

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
I picked up a Verizon model at Target today, even though my Apple.com order (3-4 week shipping group) was AT&T.

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad I got "stuck" with the Verizon. Living in the SF Bay Area makes me glad to have some form of data backup to my AT&T iPhone 4. While AT&T may have faster technology, it seems Verizon (at least in this market) is less saturated and is getting a LOT better coverage and speed where I live, at least.

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
I'm wishing I had a Verizon model. It may not be as fast as AT&T but it can stream netflix pretty much everywhere and that is good enough for me.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Well when I can find one, I will be getting a Verizon iPad just for the simple fact that during the summer, I take a lot of trips, including a camping trip where if you don't have Verizon you're pretty much screwed. So, even though I won't be able to make calls with my iPhone which is with ATT, I'll still be able to communicate via e-mail, facebook, twitter, etc with my iPad.

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
My Verizon phone/iPad gets consistent signal anywhere I go and tends to get better signal reception than its competitors in rural area or national parks when on vacation--that is when you need cellular service the most. If iPad gets poor signal it cannot even go online with 3G, let alone connection speed. 3G model is worthless if there is no reliable signal. Last but not least, 1GB for $20 is great for my casual cellular data use. For high-end speed and high-data usage, just look for WIFI service.

Last edited:

applelvr

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Raleigh, NC
No way! I have a Verizon phone & my husband has an AT&T phone (his employer pays for his). He can't get a signal in our house. He has to walk outside! He has the same problem at many of the places we like to travel - I can get a good signal & his is either weak or nonexistent!

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
I was originally going to buy an AT&T iPad but ended up with a Verizon one because all of the AT&T models were sold out. I recently was up in Napa for a conference and the Verizon iPad was still working like a champ in conference rooms where I was not getting AT&T signal on my iPhone 4. The night before I was in Petaluma and I was getting great signal on my iPhone 4 but not so much with my iPad so I tethered and it worked perfectly. I look at it as always having signal so I am actually happy I ended up with the Verizon one.

fdot

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
I'm wishing I had a Verizon model. It may not be as fast as AT&T but it can stream netflix pretty much everywhere and that is good enough for me.

Wasn't satisfied with my first 32GB wi-fi Ipad 2, so I was able to hook up with a fellow MR member who sold me a Verizon 32gb at cost (fantastic guy and generally a good group here, glad to see we don't gouge each other). I'm really excited to recieve it, but I'm now having second thoughts about the Verizon thing. My Ipad 1 is of course AT&T and I have been generally satisfied with it, so I am getting a little concerned about being locked into a Verizon ipad. Not only are their plans generally more expensive, but the "no activation fees at launch" story they are telling now makes me concerned that they will at some point get squirrley with the data plans. I have also been seeing that AT&T has been beating the Verizon model in speed tests (which I wouldn't think would be the case since I was of the impression that AT&T was less reliable).

How has everyone found their Verizon Ipad 2's thus far? Are my fears unfounded? Or shall I flip this one and wait out an AT&T model? Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

im in ny and supposedly Verizon is supposed to be better here..... i was constantly on 2g on my Verizon ipad and always on my AT&T was it on 3G

anyway i returned my verizon for an att one today... much better..... AHHHH

oh and i couldn't stream netflix everywhere on verizon... same as att only 75 of places

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I'm visiting my parents and in their house I have one bar on my AT&T iPhone 4. I have at least 4 bars on my Verizon iPad. Love having both networks for my data needs.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Only time I travel is from city to city or out of the country. I'm never in the boonies with no ATT coverage. I had no reason to even consider the Verizon version with it's under 1MB data speed.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Sent an email to Verizon to see if they would match AT&T's promo. Here's their response:

"My name is Monica and I am happy to assist you today with your email inquiry regards to promotional data offers on the iPad 2 . *We are currently not offering any promotional offers where your data would be free on the iPad 2 . *The free data promotion AT&T offers is a free month of 2 gb data *when you sign up for 2gb dataconnect personal plan. *The maximum credit is $25 . This Offer is not available for on-tablet activation.
Our data options are month-to-month 3G service activated via built in client. The data options are as follows :
$20 *for 1 GB
$35 for 3 GB
$50 for 5 GB
$80 for 10 GB
We also offer *Alerts built into the client for data usage and replenishment. Alerts occur at 50 MB and 25 MB data remaining . We offer more data packages to fit your needs . AT&T only offers two data packages . If you had to add more data to your package with AT&T you would end up paying $50 for 4 gb with AT&T . You would *get 5 gb for $ 50 with our data options. *You get more data with Verizon for the same amount of money with AT&T not to mention better coverage. ******* *******
In closing , I hope the information provided is helpful in explaining how you can get more Data for your money with Verizon Wireless.
We apologize for the delayed response to your email . We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Customer Service 800-922-0204 .
Sincerely,
Monica
Verizon Wireless, Customer Service
Internet Response Team"

Monica can't do math :D

25$ = 2GB
+ 10$ + 10$ = 4GB total.

So 45$ for 4GB

Unless... I'm retarded :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.