Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Rasta4i
macrumors member

iPad 2 London Thread

As it's the capital of england I think it deserves its on thread, anyone planning to buy an iPad in london discuss here and share info so maybe we can help each other and speak about the places to go and not to go.

Anyone planning on going to any apple stores apart from covent garden or regents street?
Rasta4i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
v66jack
macrumors 6502a

Was considering Kingston store, or maybe Westfield. I'm still undecided. Anyone with experience in this area - help would be appreciated. Thanks.
v66jack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:46 PM   #3
darylsudden
macrumors newbie

Going to Covent Garden... with my iCaptain cosplay!
darylsudden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
roop27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v66jack View Post
Was considering Kingston store, or maybe Westfield. I'm still undecided. Anyone with experience in this area - help would be appreciated. Thanks.
these two stores are your best options if you can get there early, but they usually have the least amount of stock out of the four stores in london. Regent street is the usual place for HELL being as its the flagship store which gets the most publicity. Covent garden wasnt too bad with the iPhone 4, just the usual idiots turning up to sell the phones abroad. I'm probably going to covent garden at about 1pm. there is a nice costa/nandos in the area so if the person behind you is nice, they will save your place for you whilst you chowdown a whole periperi chicken (tell them you'll bring them back some chips) lol
roop27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Yep, I'm planning a Bluewater trip about 10-ish Friday morning. Between John Lewis, PC World and Apple, I should be able to bag a 32gb 3G...
Tsuchiya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
roop27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
Yep, I'm planning a Bluewater trip about 10-ish Friday morning. Between John Lewis, PC World and Apple, I should be able to bag a 32gb 3G...
you do know its a 5pm launch right? (at apple stores, others arent confirmed)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roop27 View Post
you do know its a 5pm launch right? (at apple stores, others arent confirmed)
Yep! My plan is to get there early, ask around about stock etc last minute to decide where I want to queue, then I'll have breakfast, catch a film and maybe do a bit of shopping. I'll have my mate and brother with me so it'll just be a nice morning out (before the gruelling 5 hour wait )
Tsuchiya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:00 PM   #8
v66jack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
Yep! My plan is to get there early, ask around about stock etc last minute to decide where I want to queue, then I'll have breakfast, catch a film and maybe do a bit of shopping. I'll have my mate and brother with me so it'll just be a nice morning out (before the gruelling 5 hour wait )
I was considering BlueWater, but thought it would probably be full of people traveling from the South East. Ahhh trying guess which Apple store will be quietest with the most stock is proving difficult.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Rasta4i
macrumors member

I was also considering Kingston as I go uni there and for some reason I can't see it being that packed, a lot of students who cannot afford it and or don't care about it is what I'm hoping for! However I can't decide what apple store in London I should goto... Doesn't help that only some pc worlds and currys will be stocking them and my local comet will only be getting 4 16gb wifi black! Has anyone heard anything about Argos?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:09 PM   #10
v66jack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta4i View Post
I was also considering Kingston as I go uni there and for some reason I can't see it being that packed, a lot of students who cannot afford it and or don't care about it is what I'm hoping for! However I can't decide what apple store in London I should goto... Doesn't help that only some pc worlds and currys will be stocking them and my local comet will only be getting 4 16gb wifi black! Has anyone heard anything about Argos?
I'm also at uni there and originally thought it would be quiet. However I have never seen that little store less than packed out. It is always stuffed with people, which is why I'm considering a bigger store. Hmm, I need to decide rather soon.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:17 PM   #11
richsimpkins
macrumors newbie

I will be at Covent Garden early with my best mate. Will watch out for you Darylsudden and your 'blueish' knees!
richsimpkins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:21 PM   #12
roop27
macrumors member

Quote:
i'm also at uni there and originally thought it would be quiet. However i have never seen that little store less than packed out. It is always stuffed with people, which is why i'm considering a bigger store. Hmm, i need to decide rather soon.
come to covent garden! We'll make a macrumors queue:d
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:24 PM   #13
v66jack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
come to covent garden! We'll make a macrumors queue:d
I'm so considering it. Apparently some lecturers are going on strike on Thursday so one of the classes has been moved to Friday and wont finish until 1! So annoyed. Why can't stupid people go on strike next week when they aren't going to mess up my iPad buying.

What time you thinking of getting there? I might just skip maths
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:29 PM   #14
roop27
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm so considering it. Apparently some lecturers are going on strike on Thursday so one of the classes has been moved to Friday and wont finish until 1! So annoyed. Why can't stupid people go on strike next week when they aren't going to mess up my iPad buying.

What time you thinking of getting there? I might just skip maths
im in clinic until 6pm BUT luckily i have a girlfriend who i've bribed into queuing up from 1pm onwards. 3 guesses on what i bribed her with :P
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Rasta4i
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm also at uni there and originally thought it would be quiet. However I have never seen that little store less than packed out. It is always stuffed with people, which is why I'm considering a bigger store. Hmm, I need to decide rather soon.
I fink its always packed because of how small it is so hopefully they will have loads of stock but much shorter lines than the other stores...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:37 PM   #16
SamTheeGeek
macrumors 6502

I'm like 5 min walk away from Apple's regent store hehe, but man its gonna be hella busy so im gonna order my 64gigs 3g-wifi online, im not camping outside Apple lol

Good luck to you all

one more thing does anyone know if i can purchase more than 1 ipad ?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:39 PM   #17
roop27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheeGeek View Post
I'm like 5 min walk away from Apple's regent store hehe, but man its gonna be hella busy so im gonna order my 64gigs 3g-wifi online, im not camping outside Apple lol

Good luck to you all

one more thing does anyone know if i can purchase more than 1 ipad ?
usually 2 per person...same as iphone and previous ipad
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
SamTheeGeek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
usually 2 per person...same as iphone and previous ipad
ahh that sucks , i was looking to get some gifts.

anyways thanks man for the quick reply.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:45 PM   #19
londoner888
macrumors regular

I'm either queuing at Lakeside or Bluewater depending how I feel on the day.
Most likely get there for 11am.

Would have liked to have gone to Westfield but parking rates are a joke there.

Regents Street and Covent Garden probably too rammed for me, also, I reckon there'll be more scalpers in those stores than ones on the outskirts.
londoner888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:48 PM   #20
roop27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheeGeek View Post
ahh that sucks , i was looking to get some gifts.

anyways thanks man for the quick reply.
which store you going to? im gonna be with my gf and we're only buying one each. more than happy to help out (if you end up further along in the queue :P)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:00 PM   #21
SamTheeGeek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
which store you going to? im gonna be with my gf and we're only buying one each. more than happy to help out (if you end up further along in the queue :P)
hahaha thanks man ,

well i was thinking about queing up at the regent street store, its like 5min walk from where i live but i dont wanna que up there from 4am in the morning loool, what are other apple stores near regent street that are not packed?

i went to bluewater last week, amazing huge mall but i hated the 1hr drive lol
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:43 AM   #22
malbright
macrumors member

A Little Apple Store Info

I went to the Westfield store and spoke to 4 different people who worked there. For what it's worth, all of them said basically the same thing:

-- Goes on sale at 5
-- They don't expect much stock; the bulk of the stock goes to Regent and Covent Garden
-- There will be a long line, as with all stores, but they told me that if I want to be more confident about getting the device I should hit their two big stores early in the morning and wait it out. Even though they'll be mobbed, they said my chances are certainly better.

Hope this helps!
malbright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:44 AM   #23
Rasta4i
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbright View Post
I went to the Westfield store and spoke to 4 different people who worked there. For what it's worth, all of them said basically the same thing:

-- Goes on sale at 5
-- They don't expect much stock; the bulk of the stock goes to Regent and Covent Garden
-- There will be a long line, as with all stores, but they told me that if I want to be more confident about getting the device I should hit their two big stores early in the morning and wait it out. Even though they'll be mobbed, they said my chances are certainly better.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, looks like I'm heading to regents street or covent gardens
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:27 AM   #24
nhudgell
macrumors member

How about Brent Cross?

Everyone seems to be focussing on the apple stores... what about 3rd party retailers? Comet / Currys / PC world / HMV / Vodafone / Carphone warehouse etc etc - surely you should try there first and see if they have stock around lunchtime - and then if they do - you can be first in line - if they don't - go to apple store!

Nick
nhudgell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:45 AM   #25
naujoks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhudgell View Post
How about Brent Cross?

Everyone seems to be focussing on the apple stores... what about 3rd party retailers? Comet / Currys / PC world / HMV / Vodafone / Carphone warehouse etc etc - surely you should try there first and see if they have stock around lunchtime - and then if they do - you can be first in line - if they don't - go to apple store!

Nick
Yeah, lunchtime on SATURDAY, at ONE particular store that will have stock.
Sony Xperia Z 16GB / Sony Xperia Tablet Z 16GB
naujoks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad 2, london