Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you consider changing phones?

• Total voters

iBryton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
I have been considering the new Android phones being released, because iPhone 4 is falling behind?
(Samsung Infuse 4G, I like how it has a 4.5" screen, 4G, shooting 1080p video)

I don't know much more information about the phone, but the real poll question is that...
Are you considering to switch to a different phone on your carrier if the new iPhone "5" does not really "amaze" you, or compare well to the competition.

What are some of your iPhone 5 necessities?
(down below)

Written answers below are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
iphone may not have the best specs, but it has the best overall mobile experience. Im sticking with iPhone.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
The only thing I'm comparing the iPhone 5 to is the iPhone 4. I like the iPhone, I like the apps I have no reason to switch to a whole other operating system just based on specs. A 4.5" screen is just way to big for a phone. A 4" screen might be good but bigger then that is just to big.

Pmoser

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I think that if apple does not make a design change meaning bigger screen they will lose more and more customers. UI can only go far

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think that if apple does not make a design change meaning bigger screen they will lose more and more customers. UI can only go far

Yeah I agree. It needs a 4" screen like theres no tomorrow.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I like the current screen. If they go to 3.7/4 I'll be alright with it. Bigger than 4 and it's just to big. Even with a bigger screen I don't want the phone to get any bigger. It's the perfect size as it is.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
If they don't overhaul notifications in iOS 5, I will start considering alternatives. I'd love a 4" screen but that isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Pmoser

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
If they don't overhaul notifications in iOS 5, I will start considering alternatives. I'd love a 4" screen but that isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Droid notification system is excellent they stay out of the way but you notice them still. Most likely it wont change

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

Completely agree, iOS 5 (including a proper notification system) + 4" Screen with all the amazing specs = best iPhone yet.

I would say that the iPhone 5 would be the "biggest jump" since the original.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you like a 4.5 inch screen, 4G, and shooting 1080p video, then you should get a phone that has that.

No, I won't be switching because I value the App Store and having an iPod in my device.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
I will be upgrading to the IP5 and retiring my original IP, regardless of the specs. The rest of my household has been upgrading throughout the pass 4 years. Dad is the frugal one. :eek:

iBryton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
That's what I've been thinking. I've had iPhone (2g,3gs,4) and it's the best device yet in my life. I have all my apps from my family on my device, I have my iPod, I use MACS for crying out loud! But these other devices are tempting me. The iPhone is built like a luxury phone, rather than other comparisons, you get good warranty and the genius bar!

Honestly, check out my signature, how more apple products could I get!

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I've thought about switching to Android, as I can currently early upgrade. However, I've looked at the phones, and they all wow me with their specs and how they look, but they simply don't have the app ecosystem. The Atrix looks sweet with the laptop dock, but I just don't like the Android market app support. There are so many random games that I like to play in my spare time that simply don't exist on the Android platform. For example, Settlers of Catan is definitely my favorite app to pass time, and they've been "in development" for like a year now for Android. Almost every other big game seems to come to iPhone first as well, and once it becomes popular, it gets brought over to Android. Plus, the iPhone is just so user-friendly. People hate that it's "simplistic," but I love that. It's a phone and not a computer. It does what it is supposed to do, and does it well.

Is a larger screen nice? Is an SD card nice? Is not buying a $40 HDMI dock nice? Sure, it's all nice, but the app environment is #1 in my book, and Android, WP7 and WebOS aren't even close, no matter how much Android users try and convince themselves that it is. Maybe I'll change my mind in a year with more developers jumping onto the Android platform, but it's not even close yet.

Plus a lot of the software differences are available if you jailbreak your phone. I know some people don't like to, but there really is so much you can do with a jailbroken phone. You can get much better notification systems in Cydia, get all the widgets you want, get an android lock screen, free wifi hotspot, true multitasking (if that is what you prefer... I like the way iOS does it as it conserves battery life better), different themes, and a lot more.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I've thought about switching to Android, as I can currently early upgrade. However, I've looked at the phones, and they all wow me with their specs and how they look, but they simply don't have the app ecosystem. The Atrix looks sweet with the laptop dock, but I just don't like the Android market app support. There are so many random games that I like to play in my spare time that simply don't exist on the Android platform. For example, Settlers of Catan is definitely my favorite app to pass time, and they've been "in development" for like a year now for Android. Almost every other big game seems to come to iPhone first as well, and once it becomes popular, it gets brought over to Android. Plus, the iPhone is just so user-friendly. People hate that it's "simplistic," but I love that. It's a phone and not a computer. It does what it is supposed to do, and does it well.

Is a larger screen nice? Is an SD card nice? Is not buying a $40 HDMI dock nice? Sure, it's all nice, but the app environment is #1 in my book, and Android, WP7 and WebOS aren't even close, no matter how much Android users try and convince themselves that it is. Maybe I'll change my mind in a year with more developers jumping onto the Android platform, but it's not even close yet.

Plus a lot of the software differences are available if you jailbreak your phone. I know some people don't like to, but there really is so much you can do with a jailbroken phone. You can get much better notification systems in Cydia, get all the widgets you want, get an android lock screen, free wifi hotspot, true multitasking (if that is what you prefer... I like the way iOS does it as it conserves battery life better), different themes, and a lot more.

Agreed.

Or you can get an Android + iPod touch, problem solved.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I have a fair amount of money invested in to apps that have made my life a little easier. And I think that iOS, while it is still lacking in some areas, is the most stable, most responsive, and dare I say sexiest mobile experience. I have to go to great lengths to get my iPhone to crash. I am definitely sticking with iPhone for a while. Maybe one day I'll change my mind but I'm content where I am right now.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I still think iOS is the most fluid mobile os out there. Evrytime I use an android I'm struck by how "laggy" it seems. It may not actually be laggy, but it doesn't have the smoothness of iOS. (scrolling in particular)

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
It has been that other smartphones are measured against the iPhone. The iPhone sets the standard in which other devices are measured.

JohnBossu

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I wont change to other smartphones because I'm trapped in Apple setup (I trap myself actually lol). In the case Im not satisfy with what's offered by Iphone 5, I will wait another year for the sixth :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.