Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topclimber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hi,

I have got a unused iphone 3gs from friend's friend. There is no information can be obtained because the phone is stuck at recovery mod every time when reboot. So not sure if it's been jb or not, what firmware/ios version is, how to save the shsh etc, I tried to restore from itune, it fails with various error, eg: 1015, not eligible for this build, unknown reason, blah blah.

So my question is: where do i start to make this phone usable, I don't mind to attemp anything because this phone at the moment to me is likely dead. Please can help simply point out what can possibly done to let me boot up the phone, even it can be only used to play music and view the photos, that's good enough for me.

I will probably use tool to check firmware versions etc, but will this help?

Thanks very much,

Stephen

topclimber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
wow,people here are really nice and friendly! Bear with me for knowing nothing about all the tech terms.

This is not related to the post high lighted.

topclimber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Guys

I have done a few things, not sure why to do it but just googling, here's result:

1. I tried the recboot to attempt fix the recovery mode loop, but it doesn't work

2. I tried the irecovery script, it doesn't work

3. Also, I used the just downloaded: TinyUmbrella-v4.30.03 to fix recovery, it doesn't work.

All 3 ways lead to same result, after reboot the iphone, it quickly reenter the recovery mode(2 seconds)

4. F0recast does not show any information at all (tried both mac version and win)

So, to sum up, I got no backup of anything and I can't exit the recovery mode, so what to do next?

Thanks,

Stephen

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Guys

I have done a few things, not sure why to do it but just googling, here's result:

1. I tried the recboot to attempt fix the recovery mode loop, but it doesn't work

2. I tried the irecovery script, it doesn't work

3. Also, I used the just downloaded: TinyUmbrella-v4.30.03 to fix recovery, it doesn't work.

All 3 ways lead to same result, after reboot the iphone, it quickly reenter the recovery mode(2 seconds)

4. F0recast does not show any information at all (tried both mac version and win)

So, to sum up, I got no backup of anything and I can't exit the recovery mode, so what to do next?

Thanks,

Stephen

So connecting it to TU doesnt show you any phone information?

If nothing works... then I guess, what happens when you connect it to iTunes? Does it ask you to perform a restore? If it does then I guess that is the best option.....if it doesnt...then use pwnage tool as a timer to get your phone into DFU mode.. and just restore to whatever the current software is.

There are lots of options to try if you want to assume its been jailbroken and you dont want to ruin the chances or whatever unlocking it... you can always use pwnage tool make some.....ipsws.. 4.1 , 4.21... edit hosts files to point to saurik.. just in case.. and try.. who knows.. you may get lucky... also if you dont have a att sim card you would need to activate it with a custom ipsw using pwnage tool anyways... so failing all that make sure host file points to apple.. and custom activate an ipsw... and put phone to DFU mode.. when prompted by itunes point it to the ipsw and restore...

topclimber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
So connecting it to TU doesnt show you any phone information?

Yes,TU can not save shsh to my macbook. The only thing I did in TU is to try to do exit looping recovery mode by click fix recovery.

If nothing works... then I guess, what happens when you connect it to iTunes? Does it ask you to perform a restore? If it does then I guess that is the best option.....if it doesnt...then use pwnage tool as a timer to get your phone into DFU mode.. and just restore to whatever the current software is.

Yes, itune asks me to restore. I have done this a few times already before starting this post. I attempted:

1.0 I click restore button to let itune to do default, seems it has wiped everything from the phone and then stuck with 1015 error, (note that I didn't do backup because there has been any personal setup there yet, I thought a minimal ios up running should be no problem at all).

1.1. then I tried to upgrade the itune to latest version and it failed again, not remember exact error, as mentioned it's one of (1015, not eligible for this build, unknown reason)

1.2. then I tried to use windows to do the same, itune version is 9.x.x, failed again.

I click auto button for above 1.0,1.1,1.2

1.3. I downloaded a few apple's ipsw versions:3.1.3,4.2.1, xxx, all failed by cmd+restore

2.0. Then I used pwnage tool (not sure what it will do), I followed wizard, it asked me to choose a ipsw, i was provided a ipsw which is in the update folder long time ago for my iphone3 (wonder what this step is for? and why 3gs need to use a ipsw from iphone), then it generate a ipsw in the desktop(do you call this custom ipsw? what is used for and when to use?), then I followed instruction to enter DFU mode and then do the restore again like exactly what I did in 1.3, all failed.

I recall some posts ask to do restore a few times, but I am just not sure when is the right time to do that, feeling not on the right track.

Note, I am not sure what that current software is because I haven't note down those info.(I should have read some posts before rushing into restore)

There are lots of options to try if you want to assume its been jailbroken and you dont want to ruin the chances or whatever unlocking it... you can always use pwnage tool make some.....ipsws.. 4.1 , 4.21... edit hosts files to point to saurik.. just in case.. and try.. who knows.. you may get lucky... also if you dont have a att sim card you would need to activate it with a custom ipsw using pwnage tool anyways... so failing all that make sure host file points to apple.. and custom activate an ipsw... and put phone to DFU mode.. when prompted by itunes point it to the ipsw and restore...

3.0. I would assume it's not jb yet for the phone but just not sure. I have done that part to edit hosts without luck.

So do you mean there can be anything done if it's not jbed? Can somebody simply explain what does pwnage tool to to make a ipsw? Also how can I know which version is possible for the phone to go jb etc?

Thanks very much,

Stephen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.