Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
I work in a very dusty (red dust associated with the aus outback) environment and am looking for a way to keep my macbook fairly clean.

I am already planning on buying a pelican case for transporting it and storing it when I'm not using it but does anyone have any suggestions on other ways to keep it clean both inside and out?

Cheers.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I suppose your best bet is with a full body skin, I hear good things about the wrapsol. An maybe a keyboard cover if using it outside a lot.
I personally wouldn't worry all that much about the exterior as unless you allow the dust to settle an rub it against something it won't really do the aluminium that much harm.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Meant to add as well there are snap on cases but if it's as dusty as you say they will probably do more harm than good.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Some full body skin will help you in terms of the surface, but nothing will help and prevent dust from getting into the speaker grills and such. If you're really in a dusty area then there may be little you can do. Is it dusty where you will actively use the machine or just while transporting?

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
Whilst I am at work we live in tents there isn't to much inside to use the laptop in. Really just a marquee. Dust tends to make its way into everything over time.

I think ill have a look at some skins as Gol27 suggested and store it in the pelican case when I'm not using it.

Is it OK to blow the machine out with compressed air?

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
You could put a skin over the keyboard and tape down the edges and the speaker grills as well as the superdrive opening but the biggest opening is intake/exhaust vent and you can't seal that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.