Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips

Old Sep 13, 2002, 01:29 PM   #1
BicyclePunk
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BicyclePunk
Unhappy 2nd Hard Drive won't Initialize

I got a hold of a 20gig ATA hard drive to add to my G4 2x500 machine. I already have a 40 gig, which I partitioned when I replaced the original hard drive that crapped the bed. I put this second hard drive in as a slave. The computer sees it and gives me the stats and all for it, but it will not erase it no matter what I try. I got it from my someone who pulled it out of a PC, but it should work. I think it is a western digital and it looks just like the one in the machine now. Any help would be great....I need this second hard drive. Thanks!
BicyclePunk is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2002, 01:54 PM   #2
sparkleytone
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to sparkleytone
if its an NTFS formatted drive, then that could be your problem. try booting to the OS X cd and repartitioning and formatting the drive from the drive utility there.
sparkleytone is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2002, 02:02 PM   #3
BicyclePunk
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BicyclePunk
Oddly enough, that didn't do it either. But I decided to boot is OS9 and try it there. And as luck would have it that worked. Thanks!
BicyclePunk is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips