Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:39 AM   #1
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

Smaller cursor keys on 11", problem with heavy use?

I noticed in the shop when comparing the 2 models that the 11" has not only a smaller function key row, but also a smaller bottom (space bar) row. This is only as high as a normal key row, whereas on the 13" (and every other MacBook and Apple keyboard) it is a bit higher.

Therefore the arrow keys are smaller, because they fit in this space. Especially the up and down arrow keys are very close together.

I tried using them for a bit to see if there was a difference but the only local reseller has them bolted to some kind of stand tilted downwards, which is terribly awkward to use, so I can't really compare them.

I was just wondering how people find this on the 11" with long-term real life use. I do a lot of console/terminal stuff, especially using SSH to connect to remote Linux boxes so I use the cursor keys an awful lot.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:20 AM   #2
anand.rohira
macrumors newbie

Go for 13 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
I noticed in the shop when comparing the 2 models that the 11" has not only a smaller function key row, but also a smaller bottom (space bar) row. This is only as high as a normal key row, whereas on the 13" (and every other MacBook and Apple keyboard) it is a bit higher.

Therefore the arrow keys are smaller, because they fit in this space. Especially the up and down arrow keys are very close together.

I tried using them for a bit to see if there was a difference but the only local reseller has them bolted to some kind of stand tilted downwards, which is terribly awkward to use, so I can't really compare them.

I was just wondering how people find this on the 11" with long-term real life use. I do a lot of console/terminal stuff, especially using SSH to connect to remote Linux boxes so I use the cursor keys an awful lot.

if its an issue you noticed so early, u did probably hv trouble using in the long run.

rather than having a buyers remorse, just go for the 13 MBA.

whn MBA was launched in oct. i had my mind sent on 11 MBA for months,

but after arnd 5 visits to the local apple stores and sitting on MBA (both sizes) for abt an hour, i found 13 inch one to be better for long term usability !

hence got a 13 MBA.
no complaints here ...

difenatly wud hv regretted the 11 mba
anand.rohira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

Well it wasn't so much that I noticed it as an 'issue', but more that I noticed it as a difference when I was comparing the two models. It's only several millimetres.

But like I said the local reseller (PC World) has the 11" bolted to an awkward stand that shows the keyboard at an angle pointing down, so I can't actually use it to see what it feels like. Even so I think it's something that only shows when you use it a lot.

I agree that the 13" would be better keyboard-wise, but it is more expensive (I'd go for the 64GB) and I travel a lot so I could really use the extra portability of the 11". Even the 300 grams difference is great as I travel a lot on budget airlines with hand luggage only so that's another 300g I can use for clothes. It feels like the 13" is not too much of an improvement in portability over my old pro which I sold recently.

That's why I wondered especially about heavy terminal/ssh users, how they're managing with the 11".
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:53 AM   #4
st0p.
macrumors newbie

I do a TON of writing on my 11' Air (blogging, writing novels AND essays/school assignments), and I absolutely love the keyboard. I was concerned too, since it is such a small computer and I have very large hands, but it took me less than half an hour to feel totally at home on it, and that is coming from a PC non-chicklet keyboard.

Obviously, it's worth giving it a closer look, but I have been ecstatic so far.
st0p. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

You're right that they are slightly smaller, but I can't say I'd really noticed until you mentioned it: I haven't found the slightly smaller keys to be a problem at all TBH

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air