Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
OK, I've got a little bit of a challenge. I'd like speakers for my iMac G5. Given their design, the internal ones sound OK, but I want more.

Here's the challenge: I hate sub-woofers for desktop computers!!! One of the reasons I went with the iMac is to eliminate clutter. I would really rather not have an extra box on the floor and wires all over the place.

Second challenge: the speakers have to look nice. :) I mean, who wants fugly speaker boxes next to their Mac?

Alternative: if there were a sub woofer available for the G5 iMac, that I could hook directly to it, and therefore only have one extra speaker, I suppose I could live with that. :rolleyes: Does anyone know if a product like this is in the works? I think there was something like it for the later generations of the G3 iMac, but have not seen anything for the G5.

(The G4 "Softballs" kicked ass, and I'm really pissed that they don't work with anything else!!! :mad: )

Thanks for any input!

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Well, it depends. What are some of the main features that you are looking for? Low price? Sound Quality? Style?

I would personally recommend the Swan M200's. They are some of the highest quality multimedia speakers you can find, and they fit your description of not having a subwoofer. They look great, but be warned - they are huge! Newegg.com is one of the few places I know that sell them.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
griffin adapter?

I'm not sure if Griffin makes an adapter or not but they may make one so that you can use them with something like your imac. Check their website.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I have harmon/kardon sound sticks w/iSub. They look great and sound freakin' awesome. The Sub puts out all kinds of bass. There's 4 speakers per stick with 2 sticks for a total of 8 speakers. All of the bass is pushed through the iSub so you can turn them up as loud as they go without any distortion. Mine are USB speakers, but I think the newest ones use the headphones port. My iSub also has a blue LED the lights up the sub at night which is kinda neat.

I believe these speakers are somewhere around $200 depending on where you look.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Griffin product

OK, I looked at Griffin's website and it's called the iFire that would allow you to use the Apple Pro speakers with any computer. I think they retail at 40 bucks. Not the best deal but not bad if you don't want a sub.

I have soundsticks myself and love them but can understand why you don't want a sub. I do think that you could purchase the iSub by itself though as another alternative.

Good luck! :D

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
Jigglelicious said:
Well, it depends. What are some of the main features that you are looking for? Low price? Sound Quality? Style?
Oh, yes. Should say that ideally, between $50 to $100 max. Sound quality: well the best possible for the money. Subwoofer aside, I would probably go for the SoundSticks, but they're out of my desired price range. I would be interested in hearing more about the sound quality from the Duets, as they certainly look the part. The Klipsh Ultra 2.0s are on my short list, for sure.

(Griffin adaptor: yes, that is what I would get, except I'm do not already own a set of the softballs. I considered buying a pair through ebay, and then the adaptor, but that seemed a bit much. I mean, they're not THAT great!)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Try these? they would match the iMac they are JBL Duets. No Sub, Sound pretty darn good and you look around you can get a good deal. Got mine at New egg for $40 would be a big improvement over stock.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 166
I tend to like Bose, but I have a set of Jbl pro's that I have been using for years. JBl have mastered the trade off between price and quality.

Here's a link to http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=CfJm8lDZC1GHQVpyDTlggvgNTpwCLpCS6Lp2V1nT8y05KsP2gDhJ!-130346605!231498124?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=computer_speakers_subcategory&linksource=centernav_img_computergaming&pageName=/index_2.jsp

The Companion 2 fits into your price range, but the Companion 3's are amazing.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
I saw the original iSub on ebay. Would that work with the G5 iMac? Looked like it needed special software...

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Rantipole said:
I saw the original iSub on ebay. Would that work with the G5 iMac? Looked like it needed special software...

Yes, the original iSub will work with the iMac G5. The "special software" needed is already built into the OS. The iSub's drivers are built into Tiger as well, and I believe Tiger fixes a couple of iSub quirks (having to do with muting and attaching headphones to your Mac). Around $50 shipped is a good price for a used iSub.

I have my iSub connected to my dad's Mac mini, along with Apple Pro Speakers by way of the iFire.

The subwoofer that comes with the Soundsticks is not an iSub, although many many people erroneously call it that, and the two subwoofers look very similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.