Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:35 AM   #1
djc6
macrumors 6502

Problems using facetime - rings, but won't connect

I purchased the $1 facetime app on my 13" Macbook Pro, and I'm trying to test it out with my iPad 2. Originating the call from either device causes the other to ring, but when you answer the call nothing happens. Both the Macbook Pro and my iPad 2 are connected to the same wi-fi network (a Time Capsule) - so a 100% apple setup. Any ideas what the issue is?

I just want to see what the quality is like... I really want the iPad 2 for facetime, but if it sucks then I'll return it. So far the images I've seen using photo booth are NOT promising. All kinds of exposure issues depending on the lighting conditions, and an astonishing amount of noise in the image.
djc6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
djc6
macrumors 6502

I saw this article about users reporting facetime freezing, and it sounds just like what I was experiencing. I restarted the iPad 2 and was able to test facetime.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_ipad_2.html

However, the colors of the iPad 2 generated image sent to the macbook pro is extremely warm. Any way to adjust the image settings? I've found virtually no settings in facetime.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
T4R06
macrumors 6502a

my ipad 2 works really well on my wife iphone 4 jailbroken and she is using 3G and not wifi.
T4R06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:21 PM   #4
ravenas
macrumors regular

Had this problem trying to Facetime from my iPod Touch 4g to my sister's. The issue was the way Facetime calls contacts not on a cell phone. It does it by e-mail address. I had to create a different contact entry just for her Facetime account.

Skype works far better and more reliably for me. I'm thinking Facetime was really made for the iPhone and is an afterthought for other clients.
ravenas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Willie5566
macrumors regular

Grrrr...I just had my wife get a iPad 2 almost for the sole purpose of being able to use facetime. Now it looks like the app that has been out for almost a year still has bugs? Tell me it is not so.

Last night my wife and I tried to use facetime. She is using iPad 2 and I am on iPhone 4. We got as far as it would say connecting and then it would never connect. We were both using wi-fi.

Anyone have any ideas????
Willie5566 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
G4R2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566 View Post
Grrrr...I just had my wife get a iPad 2 almost for the sole purpose of being able to use facetime. Now it looks like the app that has been out for almost a year still has bugs? Tell me it is not so.

Last night my wife and I tried to use facetime. She is using iPad 2 and I am on iPhone 4. We got as far as it would say connecting and then it would never connect. We were both using wi-fi.

Anyone have any ideas????
Facetime uses particular ports on the network. Home networks are typically fine but corporate networks may firewall this port. If you're using a corporate or subscription wifi access point you may encounter difficulties connecting.
G4R2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Willie5566
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4R2 View Post
Facetime uses particular ports on the network. Home networks are typically fine but corporate networks may firewall this port. If you're using a corporate or subscription wifi access point you may encounter difficulties connecting.
Interesting. I was on a restaurant wi-fi. Man this is going to be tough for me to find a wi-fi that I can use. I travel a lot.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:15 PM   #8
ravenas
macrumors regular

Use Skype. I haven't had a problem yet with that. Plus you can send text messages while chatting or later and know when someone has their device on and app running.

I'm a Windows user so Facetime is a FAIL for me anyway. It's not cross platform and Apple doesn't care to make it so. Only advantage is when you are going iPhone to iPhone and want to use it during a phone call.
ravenas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:06 PM   #9
G4R2
macrumors 6502a

I know this may not resolve your particular problem, but I've seen elsewhere that users with an iPhone 4 and hotspot enabled can Facetime through a tethered iPad 2. What's strange about this set up is that you can Facetime through a connected device but not the iPhone 4.
G4R2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:09 PM   #10
Willie5566
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4R2 View Post
This.

I tried from another wi-fi hot spot and it worked. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:48 PM   #11
djc6
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566 View Post
Thats exactly my experience with facetime on the ipad 2. The solution was to power off the ipad 2 completely and turn it back on. The article I linked in the 2nd post of this thread says other ipad 2 owners have had similar experiences and a similar solution.. Some need to do this with every facetime session it says.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:03 PM   #12
mwjd299
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc6 View Post
Thats exactly my experience with facetime on the ipad 2. The solution was to power off the ipad 2 completely and turn it back on. The article I linked in the 2nd post of this thread says other ipad 2 owners have had similar experiences and a similar solution.. Some need to do this with every facetime session it says.
I got my iPad2 yesterday and made a call and I had the freezing issue. I rebooted and everything was fine, however I haven't called anyone yet.
mwjd299 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:53 PM   #13
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

I have the same freezing issue with Facetime, but mine goes one step further- the image shown on the screen will be the one from my previous session. Apparently this is a common problem and will hopefully be corrected in the forthcoming IOS update.
laurenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad