Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135353-ipad_2_multitouch.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Apple is considering offering to increase the price it is willing to pay for touch panel supplies in order to secure a steady flow of the components for its iOS devices as suppliers struggle to recover from the Japanese earthquake. With Apple said to already be soaking up 60% of the entire touch panel market, the move could significantly increase pressure on smaller competitors trying to lock in their own supplies. In particular, Apple is looking to Taiwan-based suppliers whose importance has increased with a number of Japanese plants going offline or operating with reduced production.In order to secure sufficient supply of touch panels used in the iPad and iPhone, Apple has talked with Taiwan-based makers, considering some room for them to hike quotes, according to these makers.

With Apple's capacity, It is a reasonable strategy from Apple to allow suppliers to hike quotes, and it will be a great help to the overall supply chain, even just for the short term, but will increase pressure to other vendors for tablet PCs and smartphone, touch panel makers believed.While a handful of components have been determined to be directly vulnerable to shortages caused by the earthquake and related disasters, Apple's manufacturing partners have been said to have several weeks' worth of supplies already on hand and Apple's supply agreements and market position give it significant leverage for obtaining supplies going forward. But given the complex international nature of the electronics production business and Apple's penchant for maintaining lean manufacturing processes, any disruption in the supply chain could have significant effects.

Article Link: Apple Considering Paying Suppliers More to Ensure Touch Panel Supplies?

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
You guys could start making them in America

This would cost more for Apple, but considering they're willing to pay suppliers more to ensure production, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea if a California company actually produced product in California as well :(

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
This would cost more for Apple, but considering they're willing to pay suppliers more to ensure production, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea if a California company actually produced product in California as well :(

with all due respect.......... your 2011 ipad will arrive in 2013 costing $2000 more, after huge lobbying with KFC eating trade union members

:D

ps- try south africa, it shall be 2x worse..........

pps- maybe foxconn's brazil plant is THE only answer?

:--)?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So, is this considered a legitimate business move, or might this be seen as anti-competitive bullying?

Being the biggest (and richest) player out there, offering to pay more means hiking up the prices and locking out the smaller players.

rez7777777

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
In The South U S A

Apple could use more U.S. companies components. Also buid it in South U.S. Say we will build in the U.S. if we have complete control (IE no Unions) or any "crazy"environmental or other regulation. Toyo, Hyundai others build in the non-union South. Southern states would also give big tax breaks to lure Apple.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2007
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in the USA."

I can only dream.
You're not the only one who feels this way, my friend!! I am always willing to pay a premium for quality, which along with the customer support experience, is why I buy Apple. I would likewise be willing to pay for quality, American-made products, knowing that I'm keeping my fellow neighbors healthy as well.

X2468

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Apple will pass the cost on to the consumer, so as to maintain their profit margins.

I'm glad I got mine before they increase the price.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
You're not the only one who feels this way, my friend!! I am always willing to pay a premium for quality, which along with the customer support experience, is why I buy Apple. I would likewise be willing to pay for quality, American-made products, knowing that I'm keeping my fellow neighbors healthy as well.

And even then, the premium wouldn't be so bad when we are providing more jobs, thus getting or economy back on track and people making more money.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
+1. Unionized labor isn't that expensive and I know I'd feel better knowing that my purchase wasn't responsible for a rash of suicides. Do you actually feel good knowing that your purchase is responsible for a company installing an anti-suicide net?
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in the USA."

I can only dream.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Couldn't a story like this be used by the manufacturers to raise their prices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.