Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robleab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I have tried several times to get the $20 unlimited data plan for my iphone2g but I cannot get it. I went into the AT&T store and they said that I have to activate it via iTunes. I restored my iphone2g with 3.1.2 and left my SIM in the iphone2g. When I opened iTunes, it automatically activated my iphone2g without asking for a data plan or anything. I called AT&T and they said that the only data plans for iphones are the 200mb and 2gb and they did not differentiate between the 2g Edge or the 3g and up iphones. Is there anyway to get the $20 unlimited data plan added to my iphone 2g? Did I not activate it via iTunes correctly? When I call AT&T, it shows that I have a blackberry Curve 8310 and they said the only plans that I can add to the BB Curve is the 200mb or the 2gb. I appreciate any help. Thanks

mltaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I believe its $30 for unlimited and AT&T now has tiered pricing. Obviously you know that but AT&T seems to be cracking down on pricing issues.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Try an older version of iTunes. I just used the loophole yesterday for a new line I opened for my sister and I used my old 2G then put her sim in a 3GS and it worked.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for replying. What version did you use?

your going to need a new sim to be able to do it. go back to the at&t store for a new sim before trying to activate through itunes. it took me an hour on the phone with a CSR to get everything working correctly. it took the CSR and his manager to over-ride the system to be able to manually input my 2g's IMEI and sim and all the info for the edge only unlimited data plan.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Try an older version of iTunes. I just used the loophole yesterday for a new line I opened for my sister and I used my old 2G then put her sim in a 3GS and it worked.

The notice AT&T sent out with the issue of terhering without a plan also addressed sim swapping. Be careful here because they are watching for sim swapping on unlimited plans.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I heard that AT&T has disabled that loophole a while ago.
Not sure if you can still get unlimited data using the iphone 2G trick but worth a shot I guess.

I called AT&T and asked about data plan for 2g. CSR said it's $20 unltd data and I need to activate through iTunes and that I'll need a new sim.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
I called AT&T and asked about data plan for 2g. CSR said it's $20 unltd data and I need to activate through iTunes and that I'll need a new sim.

but that is for the 2g. Here is the part of the AT&T memo to customer service reps. This is on their radar.

-----------------------

Similar to date as well: SIM Swapping

Appropriate data plans are required to use Mobile Broadband devices (laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) on the AT&T Network.

Effective March 16, 2011, AT&T will systematically enforce this policy by alerting customers with unlimited data plans when they take the SIM from their current smartphone, QMP, or basic phone and place it into a Mobile Broadband device to access data unlimited, that an appropriate data plan is required.

Process

Once SIM swapping is detected, customers will receive notifications via SMS and e-mail that an appropriate data plan is required for their Mobile Broadband device. If the customer continues to use their SIM in the device, their data service will be restricted for the remainder of the billing period unless they contact Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Reasons

Any data unlimited customer who takes the SIM from their smart phone, QMP, or basic phone and puts it into a Mobile Broadband device is not in compliance with the requirements of their wireless customer agreement.

Communication Key Dates

Effective March 16, 2011

Specific Customers Addressed

The notifications will go to smartphone, QMP, and basic phone users with unlimited data plans who put their SIM into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: Laptop, Tablet or AT&T Mobile Hotspot device).

Notification Methods

By SMS and e-mail

SMS Communications

The first message is sent when AT&T first detects SIM swapping activity.
AT&T Free Msg: An eligible data plan is required when using a Laptop, Tablet or MiFi device. Call 611 as soon as possible for details and to avoid service interruption.
The second message is sent when AT&T detects subsequent SIM swapping activity.
AT&T Free Msg: Your data service has been restricted due to SIM swapping with a data connect device. Call 800-331-0500 to discuss available plan options.
E-Mail Communication

If we have the customer's e-mail address, the following communication will be sent after each out-of-policy usage.

At AT&T, we value your business and want to ensure you have the data plan that's right for you. Did you know an eligible data plan is required when using mobile broadband? If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your wireless handset into your Laptop, Tablet or MiFi, your data service may no longer work properly on either device.

Call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team will help you establish service with an appropriate data plan for your device and restore data service if necessary.
AT&T offers a variety of plans to fit your needs in order to provide the best on-the-go experience on the nation's fastest mobile broadband network. Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call. You can also visit our web page here to learn more.
Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

FAQs

Does this policy affect all SIM swapping?
No. This policy is being enforced for smartphone, QMP, and basic phone customers with a data unlimited plan on their account who put their SIMs into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) in an effort to share data unlimited between two devices.

Why is AT&T notifying my customer about putting their smartphone SIM into their new tablet?
Any customer using a Mobile Broadband device on the AT&T network is required to have an appropriate data plan which supports that device. This policy is now being systematically enforced.

How will my customer receive the SMS notification if the SIM is in one of the Mobile Broadband devices?
Most of these devices allow customers to receive SMS messages. However if the device does not, the SMS communication will continue to be sent for a period of up to three days. Also, if the customer has an e-mail address on file, AT&T will send a notification via e-mail.

My data unlimited customer did not realize it was against AT&T policy to put the SIM from a smartphone into a Mobile Broadband device. My customer does not want to add a data plan for their Mobile Broadband device. What are the options?
With the many services and ease of use of our great new Mobile Broadband devices, our customers will be able to fully utilize these devices. Also they get the best possible experience if they have an appropriate data plan for that device or they can select our DataPro with tethering plan for their current smartphone.

If the customer continues to use their smartphone SIM in their Mobile Broadband device, their data service will be suspended until the end of the billing period, unless the customer calls into Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Note: If the customer does not contact Customer Care to add a plan, their data service will be restored for their smartphone at the beginning of the new billing cycle. If SIM swapping activity is detected during the next billing cycle, the data service on the account will be suspended again.

Is my customer eligible for a data credit while his data service is suspended?
No.

Can my customer continue this process each billing cycle?
No. If the customer continues the out of policy behavior, AT&T reserves the right to remove the unlimited smartphone data plan from the account.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
not talking about sim swapping from iphone/phone to ipad/hotspot/tablet. talking about swapping from phone with data plan to phone with data plan. i can take my sim card from my iphone 3g and put it in my 3Gs all day long with no problem or even from my 2g iphone to my 3g/3Gs as long as i switch to the 3G data plan. what u are talking about with you long a$$ post is taking your sim from your phone that has unlimited data and putting it in a data connect card ie usb 3g stick or ipad. it has no bearing on what the OP is asking about.

OP, what you going to need to do is get a new sim card from AT&T and connect through iTunes. if that doesnt work call 611 from your phone and talk to a CSR. it took me over an hour to get it all straightend out as they had to manually input all the correct setting since itunes said the sim card wasnt supported.

solid0mike

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
This is what I basically did.
My brother sent me his original iPhone 2G (4GB), received it in the mail. I first tried it on my cousins 3GS since I don't have to cut any sim cards. I swapped out the sim of the 3GS and popped it into the 2G. I restored it via itunes, and then it came up as a new activation through iTunes. I did the steps with the unlimited data+200txt. The activation finished and ATT OLAM to show up on my cousins account as Unlimited 2G data. I then popped the sim card out and put it back into the 3GS. Took about 15min for it to received a text saying it will be placed into the "correct" data plan. After that I checked OLAM and it had the unlimited 3G data. WIN!

My i4 was a bit tricky. I took out my micro sim, and taped it into 2G tray. I activated it through itunes, with the unlimited data+200 text. it finished and my 2G was functional. I then checked my OLAM and nothing it still showed up as 2GB Pro Data. I waited an hour with the micro sim inside the 2G. and still nothing OLAM showed up as 2GB Pro Data. So I searched macrumors for other solutions and found that maybe a new sim will work. So I did that.

Went to my local ATT and told them my i4 got wet and I sent it for repairs so I needed a sim for my 2G, I even showed it to them. They said no prob, and gave me a regular sim. Went home, popped it into 2G and went through the activation again. Finished and nothing my 2G said no service for about 1hr. I became impatient and called ATT telling them my iphone 4 was wet and it broke and I wanted to activate my 2G with a new sim that I had gotten. Told them about the no service up on the status bar. Basically I was on hold for about 30min, I gave them the IMEI and ICD number, and they gave me unlimited data again. It was a bit funny because the CSR knew what I was doing and she kind of laughed saying she's read about it on the internet. I just said nope I need it because the i4 broke lol :p

So my 2G received service again, and told me if I "buy" an i4 to call instead of activating it on my own or taking it to a local ATT. So I waited for 1hr just because and called back saying I bought an i4 and wanted to activate it, they suggested I go get a new microsim, so I did. Called back, same thing put me on hold for about 5 min and told me I was grandfathered into the 3G Unlimited for my i4. so yep DDDD AWESOME

Both CSR were incredibly nice to me, ATT CSR's in my experience are a lot helpful and nicer to me than the local ATT reps.

Anyways, good luck to whoever wants to try the data trick. The CSR told me ATT won't remove my unlimited data so yep, and if they did I'll just call back and nag at them ;P
I know this is more of a "cool story bro" thread but I just wanted to explain my method, and that the trick is still in effect.

Check out my thread, might help you out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1100932/

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Maybe you need to give it some time and wait for AT&T to detect your phone.
Why don't you go att.com, and select "no data plan" so when the system automatically adds one for you, it goes to the unlimited $20 one.

robleab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Please post how it goes. If you are successful, list the iTunes version that your are using.

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
iTunes version doesn't matter, I did it not too long ago with the newest version.
As others have said, you need a BRAND NEW sim card. I just went to a local at&t and said I needed a sim card and they gave it to me free.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
iTunes version doesn't matter, I did it not too long ago with the newest version.
As others have said, you need a BRAND NEW sim card. I just went to a local at&t and said I needed a sim card and they gave it to me free.

What do you suggest if I already have the iPhone 4 on a 2GB plan? I'm still within 30 days of returning it.

I can return it and start allover?

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
What do you suggest if I already have the iPhone 4 on a 2GB plan? I'm still within 30 days of returning it.

I can return it and start allover?

You don't need to return it, just go to at&t and say you need a new sim card. They may charge for it or give it free, it kinda depends on the shop. If they give you a normal sim, just throw it in your restored 2g (make sure it says connect to itunes) and itunes should ask you to log into your at&t account and select which number you want it on. If you got a micro sim you will need to use tape to hold it in place in the 2g sim tray. Then it should give you data plan options, select unlimited + texts for $20. After you go through all that it should be activated (you may need to wait a few hours for it to activate, i did). If they gave you a normal sim you then need to cut it down to fit in the i4's micro sim tray. If not, just put the sim in the iphone 4 and after a while you should get a text saying you were put on the correct data plan for your phone.

If any of that doesn't make any sense let me know :D

utbaseball30

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
Miami, Fl
Did the whole process, everything seemed fine. But on my online account manager, it stills shows 2gb data plan

why is this?

Do I still have to wait to put the sim in my IP4?

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
Did the whole process, everything seemed fine. But on my online account manager, it stills shows 2gb data plan

why is this?

Do I still have to wait to put the sim in my IP4?

I answered this question in the other thread, but wait a little while and see if it updates, if it doesn't within an hour or so, go ahead and put the sim in the ip4. You're probably fine to do it now, but I wouldn't risk having to start over.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
OK I'm not ready to do this with an iPhone 4. I know this is an iPhone forum but can this be done with another device?

My wife 2 weeks ago got an Inspire with a 2GB data plan. Today I went to the ATT store and got a sim card. Today I also got my 2G iPhone in the mail.

Do I take the sim from the Inspire and put it in the iPhone 2G?

Or do I do it with the new sim? If I do it with new sim how do I go about adding the data on my wife's line?

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
stupid question but can I do this with a borrowed iphone 2G ? Meaning my friend has one and I don't want to buy a 2G just for this process. I do have an original untouched simcard that came with my old 2G which I sold years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.