Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1
mashinhead
macrumors 68020

Does anyone actually have a NEW 6gb MINI

So i went to the store to check out the new mini ipods. But none were on display. So i ask about the 'new colors' listed on the site, and all the employees were like what new colors. Personally, the blue, on the site looks different, a lot better, like it has a hint of green in it.

And the 4gb minis, are really the same as the ones they sold before. Which means they probably don't have and 18 hr battery.

So does anyone actually have one of these. And do they look different in color.??
mashinhead is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:18 PM   #2
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashinhead
And the 4gb minis, are really the same as the ones they sold before. Which means they probably don't have and 18 hr battery.
What gives you that impression?
dejo is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3
mashinhead
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
What gives you that impression?
did they have an 18 battery life before?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
It is still a new rev. the 4gig has the new battery.

kyle
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:42 PM   #5
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Apple Stores usually just change the price tag/info box out front until they have a chance (read: a week to two weeks) to get a stock of them, swap them out, etc.

Go to "About this Mac..." on some PowerBooks or iBooks. The one by us had Rev. B PowerBooks up until the Rev. Ds came out, then swapped them. That was because of the Rev. Ds new Scrolling Feature. So they had to.

Not really a big deal that they are last generation. Notice it took a bit for them to get Shuffles? Thus, that time (probably shorter) will it need be for new stuff to come out.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:42 AM   #6
im_noahselby
macrumors member

Quote:
Wrong. The 4GB iPods are new and will feature the advertised 18 hour battery life.

As for the colours, they appear to be a bit more vibrant than the previous pastels.

Noah
im_noahselby is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 02:31 AM   #7
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

I went to the Apple Store today and asked about the minis a bit ... they didn't have the new ones out on display, but they had one guy walking around wearing the blue, pink and green. The colors are dramatically different -- much more bold.

Both the new 4gig and the new 6gig look identical, same size, same everything. Both lines feature the bold colors and the improved battery life.

I have to say I was really shocked at the colors -- they were practically glowing neon. Really, phenomenally bright. This picture from iPodLounge illustrates the difference very well ... it is truly THIS bold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	21230  
dotnina is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:46 AM   #8
Dagless
macrumors Core

yea the new ones are much more 'metalic' looking. and to be honest i prefare the old ones, back then i might have bought the pink one but now it just seems a little too much.

and yea everyone has said it but all the new iPod Minis have 18hour batteries.
im curious about this, they said the iPod battery was 8 hours, but it lasted just 7 for me. and the powerbooks claimed 5 hour battery which is really 3 hours or 4 if you REALLY push it (external monitor, no sound etc).

im buying one soon though, 6gb Blue
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:42 AM   #9
nesbitt_a
macrumors 6502

I much prefer the old iPod mini colours, find the new ultra-neon scheme a bit 'too' much.

A
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:58 AM   #10
Piarco
macrumors 68030

My 6GB mini got shipped out yesterday, hopefully it may be waiting for me at work today (probably not though ) but will report back as soon as I pick it up....
Piarco is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:04 AM   #11
Chappers
macrumors 68020

Next Apple will bring out a turquoise iMac.

Retro retro retro, bring back the nineties
Chappers is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:32 AM   #12
Brize
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piarco75
My 6GB mini got shipped out yesterday, hopefully it may be waiting for me at work today (probably not though ) but will report back as soon as I pick it up....
Mine was also shipped yesterday, although I wasn't counting on next-day delivery. Here's hoping!

Edit: Just arrived.

Last edited by Brize; Feb 25, 2005 at 07:40 AM.
Brize is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:00 AM   #13
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brize
Mine was also shipped yesterday, although I wasn't counting on next-day delivery. Here's hoping!

Edit: Just arrived.
Wow! First confirmed delivery is in Europe. Maybe Apple's starting to give some more attention to the European market.
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:06 AM   #14
Brize
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger
Wow! First confirmed delivery is in Europe. Maybe Apple's starting to give some more attention to the European market.
It certainly looks that way. I ordered a Mac mini for my neighbour a few weeks ago, and that also arrived within two days. It's a very welcome improvement, but long overdue.
Brize is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:08 AM   #15
homerjward
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to homerjward
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnina
pic.
wow. i really love that new coloring. when i saw on the apple online store that the click wheel buttons were colored i didn't believe it, but that's really cool. probably my favorite part about the way it looks. it makes the click wheel look clear in those parts or something
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:22 AM   #16
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Same hard drive size, but its still a new iPod Mini (including having the glowie click wheel from the new rev, and the 18 hour battery life).
GFLPraxis is online now   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:41 AM   #17
Piarco
macrumors 68030

HOLY CRAP!!!!
Ordered Wednesday - received today!!! Just got back from a meeting an it was waiting on my desk!
Opened up the brown shipping box, already thinking " wow the new box must be small", but on opening the actual iPod box was within another box!
The new box is tiny (due to the lack of power adapter ) - it must be around a third of the size to the old box - 16cm x 16cm x 6cm. Remove the sleeve and you're greeted by the typical Apple clamshell packaging, the inner of the top section holding the headphones, USB2 cable and beltclip - the bottom (under the mini)holding the manuals etc. If anyone is bothered I may put up some pics when I get home...

I ended up going for the silver, and to my eyes it does look slightly darker than my current mini. I'll check when I get home if this is true before it goes off to its new owner.

Not sure if this is new, but there are operating instructions actually on the clear wrapping plastic surrounding the mini itself - I don't remember seeing them on my other iPods....

I'll be doing some real world testing on it tonight after I've given it a full charge and see how long the battery does last for....

I'm still amazed at the speed of this delivery! Nice one Apple!

Update: Just got home, and the new box is just over half as big as the old box, and the instructions are in fact on the back of the old mini wrapper too.... strange I've never noticed! The colours are identical - not really that surprising for the silver I suppose! The only obvious difference is the inclusion of the 6GB sign on the back of tne new mini...

Last edited by Piarco; Feb 25, 2005 at 05:56 PM.
Piarco is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:26 PM   #18
mashinhead
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnina
I went to the Apple Store today and asked about the minis a bit ... they didn't have the new ones out on display, but they had one guy walking around wearing the blue, pink and green. The colors are dramatically different -- much more bold.

Both the new 4gig and the new 6gig look identical, same size, same everything. Both lines feature the bold colors and the improved battery life.

I have to say I was really shocked at the colors -- they were practically glowing neon. Really, phenomenally bright. This picture from iPodLounge illustrates the difference very well ... it is truly THIS bold.
sweet thats exactly what i was looking for. I did buy a blue one, but i don't want to open it incase i don't like the color, i wish the store next to me would put them on display. If anyone has green or pink, could they post photos?? I kinda like the neon colors.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:25 PM   #19
shane-o-mac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piarco75
[b]
Update: Just got home, and the new box is just over half as big as the old box, and the instructions are in fact on the back of the old mini wrapper too.... strange I've never noticed! The colours are identical - not really that surprising for the silver I suppose! The only obvious difference is the inclusion of the 6GB sign on the back of tne new mini...

No this is not suprising, Apple only actually came out with three new colors for the mini, they choose not to alter the silver Ipod. I agree it may in fact be that sillver is ..welll...silver or because it is the hotest selling color.
shane-o-mac is offline   0
Old Mar 3, 2005, 02:39 PM   #20
Electric Monk
macrumors member

Graphite might be nice.

And Orange would be cool.

Also, I'd love to have these in dark colors - a royal blue would be sweet or a forest green.
Electric Monk is offline   0
Old Mar 3, 2005, 03:30 PM   #21
Dagless
macrumors Core

im quite suprised at the battery life. when mine arrived i charged it for an hour, well i say charge more like filling it. i took it off charge and played around with it, and its still going 2 days later (i use it at least 3 hours a day), the battery is 25% full... i still need to do a full charge but the battery life is amazing.

i was messing around on the baby before trying to kill the battery (playing Music Quiz amongst others) but it was having none of it... didnt even drop a pixel.

the 18(apple)-26(ipod lounge) hour battery life is completely feasable.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 03:55 PM   #22
Shacklebolt
macrumors 6502a

I bought one for my girlfriend the day they were released. They're awesome - put my 2G 20gb iPod to shame.
Shacklebolt is offline   0
Old Mar 3, 2005, 04:01 PM   #23
Abulia
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Abulia
My engraved 6GB mini showed up today. The green is...very green!

I too would have preferred darker colors. These neon colors are almost too much. Then again, I liked the gold mini -- the least liked mini color of them all.

Based on my prior mini and the new battery life I'm expecting mini bliss for sometime.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 04:31 PM   #24
gekko513
macrumors 601

I think the hues on the old minis varied a little, too. My niece has a pink iPod mini that is noticably more violet than some of the pink ones I've seen on display.

Last edited by gekko513; Mar 3, 2005 at 04:34 PM.
gekko513 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews