Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diacritic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Hi everyone I have a few questions that may have been asked before but I am hoping for recent answers as the market has changed a bit.

1) Do you know if I can buy the power support ipad films (for the first ipad though I will be putting it on my ipad 2) at any brick and mortar stores? I tried the dealer locator on Power Support's web page but it came up blank.

2) Do you really think I will need to punch out a hole for the camera and has anyone tried this? If so what hole punch did you use?

3) What do you think is the best alternative screen film that I can buy at like a target or a best buy? Again for an ipad 2.

Thanks so much!

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Hi everyone I have a few questions that may have been asked before but I am hoping for recent answers as the market has changed a bit.

1) Do you know if I can buy the power support ipad films (for the first ipad though I will be putting it on my ipad 2) at any brick and mortar stores? I tried the dealer locator on Power Support's web page but it came up blank.

2) Do you really think I will need to punch out a hole for the camera and has anyone tried this? If so what hole punch did you use?

3) What do you think is the best alternative screen film that I can buy at like a target or a best buy? Again for an ipad 2.

Thanks so much!

no need to punch a hole in it. The camera sucks anyway so you won't be able to tell the difference. There is no place to buy these in stores unfortunately and there is no substitute. So just order it from power support. All other films are flawed.

diacritic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I believe the iPad 2 screen protectors from power support will be available shortly.

My two year old uses this also so I would like to have the screen protector on now! It's too bad it's not sold in stores. I remember I bought one of these for my iphone 3gs at the apple store. It has held up perfectly for two years.

Last edited:

dadoftwogirls

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Florida
iPad 1 screens do fit minus the camera hole. Don't need the hole for the camera. Can't even tell it's on when using the camera. No distortion.

diacritic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I just got a screen protector by iLuv from them. It's working nicely, very happy with it. If you don't live in NY, they do ship stuff.

I went ahead and ordered from power support directly. I don't understand why stores only stock the crappier screen covers by speck and zagg. . . .

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
iPad 1 screens do fit minus the camera hole. Don't need the hole for the camera. Can't even tell it's on when using the camera. No distortion.

I can also confirm the same. I installed their iPad 1 crystal film on my iPad 2 without punching a hole for the camera. I took before and after pictures and couldn't tell the difference.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Thanks so much!

I took the antiglare off my ipad1 and put it on the iPad 2. There are two problems: the glass is not exactly the same size which results in a very slight overhang on one side. It's not a problem unless you want to put a tpu cover on to protect the back. It pulls the edges up and is impossible to avoid. The second problem is with the camera. If you thought the ff camera is bad, try using it through a AG screen cover...horrible. I tried punching a hole with an ordinary hole punch on a spare iPod touch PS cover I had kicking around and the hole punch did not make a clean hole, it left a little ridge. I ended up taking the cover off and will probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new one once PS comes out with one for ip2. I know they're expensive, but they're worth it.

I'm pissed that Apple had to make the screen ever-so-slightly smaller. Like that was really necessary.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
How to reapply PS AGlare? I took it off my ipad1 and put it on my ipad2, went okay except for one area near the top and and one area near the side. Not too bad, but anal me, figured it was finger oils, so after a few days I removed it and washed it with soap and water.
but how do you dry it or avoid dust when letting it dry. I wiped it with a microfiber, and it collected fibers on it, rewashed it. now letting it hang dry.
Is doing what I'm trying doable? I didn't mind the slight misfit but the small air bubble areas did bother me.
Guess I'm trying to avoid spending $40 at PS, and the price went up from past year! May try some of the $7 matte ones on amazon.

diacritic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I took the antiglare off my ipad1 and put it on the iPad 2. There are two problems: the glass is not exactly the same size which results in a very slight overhang on one side. It's not a problem unless you want to put a tpu cover on to protect the back. It pulls the edges up and is impossible to avoid. The second problem is with the camera. If you thought the ff camera is bad, try using it through a AG screen cover...horrible. I tried punching a hole with an ordinary hole punch on a spare iPod touch PS cover I had kicking around and the hole punch did not make a clean hole, it left a little ridge. I ended up taking the cover off and will probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new one once PS comes out with one for ip2. I know they're expensive, but they're worth it.

I'm pissed that Apple had to make the screen ever-so-slightly smaller. Like that was really necessary.

I imagine that the camera issue, at least based on other comments here, is not true for the crystal film?

Also, did anyone else with the crystal experience a similar overhang along the sides?

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
My two year old uses this also so I would like to have the screen protector on now! It's too bad it's not sold in stores. I remember I bought one of these for my iphone 3gs at the apple store. It has held up perfectly for two years.
Same here. Got them right from my local apple store.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Whatever you do, don't use a hole puncher for the camera. You'll end up warping the film and it won't stay down after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.