Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
gnychis
macrumors 6502

iPad / iPad 2 won't charge over my USB ports

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, and it will not charge my iPad/iPad2 over the USB port. It is definitely putting out power since it chargers my iPhone. I used a Voltmeter and it's putting out about 5.04V. If I plug it in to my MacBook Air, it charges without a problem. I checked the power out of the MacBook Air and it's 5.14V. Is that little extra 0.1V the difference in charging here?
gnychis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Did you try leaving the iPad connected for a while, with the screen off? Those low power ports only charge iPad while the screen is off. When you switch on the screen, you get a "not charging" message, but it does charge when the screen is off, albeit rather slowly.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
gnychis
macrumors 6502

you're right, it is charging, but slowly charging. I think in about 2 hours it's gone up 10%
gnychis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:13 AM   #4
macking104
macrumors 6502

Some USB ports dont charge... Plugging iPad into a wall outlet with your charger always works...
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:27 AM   #5
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnychis View Post
I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, and it will not charge my iPad/iPad2 over the USB port. It is definitely putting out power since it chargers my iPhone. I used a Voltmeter and it's putting out about 5.04V. If I plug it in to my MacBook Air, it charges without a problem. I checked the power out of the MacBook Air and it's 5.14V. Is that little extra 0.1V the difference in charging here?
The iPad (both models) require a high power usb port to charge normally.

The power bricks that come with an iPad are 10 watt power supplies vrs the 5 watt power supplies that come with iPods/iPhones.

Your PC motherboard may not support the higher power requirements needed to charge (faster than paint drying anyway) the iPad. I would use the power brick to charge.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:11 AM   #6
rzc
macrumors newbie

I had same issue with my old pc which is not a usb2.0, and when I plug it in my iMac 2010... Works fine. I guess you have to have a USB 2.0, maybe??? Oh btw, forgot to mention when plug into my old pc USB it also says not charging.
rzc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 PM   #7
cuttlefish
macrumors newbie

Red face Got caught also .................

I purchased a dual USB external charger from eBay that initially charges from the PC USB and then (supposadly) charges your iPad 2 - yeh!

Only semi true as the output from the charger is 5000 mAh and the iPad 2 requires 10000 to do the job.

Even the Apple supplied iPad charger stand struggles when connected to a low powered PC USB Port.

Whereas you can usually find a higher powered USB on your PC, not so with the external charger, it will work but ever so slowly.

I did contact the eBay seller (Hong Kong) who said "tuff luck Aussie, problim bilong you, not moi!"
cuttlefish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 04:55 AM   #8
Tom620
macrumors newbie

I installed ASUS Quickcharge on my pc:

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

Works for me.
Tom620 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Baderous
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom620 View Post

Works for me.
Amen to you, sir.
This works p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y, and my laptop has nothing to do with ASUS.
Baderous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:50 AM   #10
funnoam
macrumors member

Yeah actually, this is the same feature on every motherboard, and the utility from asus works perfectly on gigabyte models.

I have a GA-P55-UD3 and I can charge my ipad with my usb ports, however its really slow, maybe 3 times slower than the ac adaptator.
funnoam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:13 AM   #11
normanbates
macrumors regular

Quote:

Works for me.
Excellent thanks
normanbates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:32 AM   #12
M Quick
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Works for me.
Worked fine on the macbook for me too, even on an external usb-hub.. one problem i got though was that my keyboard stopped working... don't know if it was related or not but.. that's what happened.. Anyways, very surprised that it did work on an old macbook!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:36 AM   #13
perpenso
macrumors newbie

2 amp to power while in use

I have noticed that companies offering adapter/chargers for use in aviation remind buyers to get the 2 amp version if they have an iPad. Presumably this is to supply enough power while in use and not drain the battery.
perpenso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Works for me.

Be careful with this. I have ready many many stories about people having trouble with this like their mother boards burring out and also having issues with iTunes freezing and one person even said it corrupted iTunes and had to reinstall iTunes. Even some had issues when they uninstalled it saying the computer freaked and loses usb functionality all together. All though most say that they just rolled the computer back to last point before the install (which some said was really hard to do if all they ad was a usb mouse lol). So with that being said just be careful.
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:54 PM   #15
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnychis View Post
Just for reference, volts don't equal power.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting