Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, and it will not charge my iPad/iPad2 over the USB port. It is definitely putting out power since it chargers my iPhone. I used a Voltmeter and it's putting out about 5.04V. If I plug it in to my MacBook Air, it charges without a problem. I checked the power out of the MacBook Air and it's 5.14V. Is that little extra 0.1V the difference in charging here?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did you try leaving the iPad connected for a while, with the screen off? Those low power ports only charge iPad while the screen is off. When you switch on the screen, you get a "not charging" message, but it does charge when the screen is off, albeit rather slowly.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
you're right, it is charging, but slowly charging. I think in about 2 hours it's gone up 10%

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, and it will not charge my iPad/iPad2 over the USB port. It is definitely putting out power since it chargers my iPhone. I used a Voltmeter and it's putting out about 5.04V. If I plug it in to my MacBook Air, it charges without a problem. I checked the power out of the MacBook Air and it's 5.14V. Is that little extra 0.1V the difference in charging here?
The iPad (both models) require a high power usb port to charge normally.

The power bricks that come with an iPad are 10 watt power supplies vrs the 5 watt power supplies that come with iPods/iPhones.

Your PC motherboard may not support the higher power requirements needed to charge (faster than paint drying anyway) the iPad. I would use the power brick to charge.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

rzc

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I had same issue with my old pc which is not a usb2.0, and when I plug it in my iMac 2010... Works fine. I guess you have to have a USB 2.0, maybe??? Oh btw, forgot to mention when plug into my old pc USB it also says not charging.

cuttlefish

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Got caught also .................

I purchased a dual USB external charger from eBay that initially charges from the PC USB and then (supposadly) charges your iPad 2 - yeh!

Only semi true as the output from the charger is 5000 mAh and the iPad 2 requires 10000 to do the job.

Even the Apple supplied iPad charger stand struggles when connected to a low powered PC USB Port.

Whereas you can usually find a higher powered USB on your PC, not so with the external charger, it will work but ever so slowly.

I did contact the eBay seller (Hong Kong) who said "tuff luck Aussie, problim bilong you, not moi!"

funnoam

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Yeah actually, this is the same feature on every motherboard, and the utility from asus works perfectly on gigabyte models.

I have a GA-P55-UD3 and I can charge my ipad with my usb ports, however its really slow, maybe 3 times slower than the ac adaptator.

perpenso

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
2 amp to power while in use

I have noticed that companies offering adapter/chargers for use in aviation remind buyers to get the 2 amp version if they have an iPad. Presumably this is to supply enough power while in use and not drain the battery.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I installed ASUS Quickcharge on my pc:

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

Works for me.

Be careful with this. I have ready many many stories about people having trouble with this like their mother boards burring out and also having issues with iTunes freezing and one person even said it corrupted iTunes and had to reinstall iTunes. Even some had issues when they uninstalled it saying the computer freaked and loses usb functionality all together. All though most say that they just rolled the computer back to last point before the install (which some said was really hard to do if all they ad was a usb mouse lol). So with that being said just be careful.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

Just for reference, volts don't equal power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.