Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abooch1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I'm interested in a shell that would be able to work with the Smart Cover.. Not a skin, but a shell. Do these exist yet? I think it would be a great idea it it is even feasible to do. Like have a cutout where the magnets go..

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Incipio said in email they're working on a version of the Feather that will work with the Smart cover. Probably mid April earliest though (my guess, not what they said).

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Incipio said in email they're working on a version of the Feather that will work with the Smart cover. Probably mid April earliest though (my guess, not what they said).

They said six to eight weeks in an email they sent me the day before yesterday.

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Website says "Available on April 1, 2011 Pre-order available" so my guess would be no.

Definitive answer would probably be from their Sales contact though, see http://www.thejoyfactory.com/contact_us/

April 1st still sounds like it may be the first shell available that supports the Smart Cover. Looks pretty solid to me, but not a fan of companies that put their logos on the cases, unless it's really subtle.

lauralouise90

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Birmingham
there's loads of sites that offer an Ipad 2 case which has better protection than the smartcover and some which compliment the smartcover as they protect the back and allow for the magnets.

Personally, i'm skipping the smartcover and going for an all round protective case for my Ipad 2 as I don't want any scratches what so ever!!

mac-spy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
$35 to $40 for a 'shell' seems high to me. Especially if you add the cost for the Apple Smart Cover ($39/$69) to have the complete solution.

I found out there are a lot cheap iPad 2 'shell' selling on ebay for less than $10 and I wonder whether they will fit well with the Smart Cover. Any thoughts?

SiMBa37

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
New York
I just ordered the SmartFit 2 case. The joy factory said its on backorder but for waiting they will throw in some free screen protecters.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
hmm, it doesn't look like any of these have magnets built in to hold the cover against the back of the iPad 2.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008

TWallace

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
That really looks great, but is the Feather case compatible with the Smart Cover though. I didn't see anything in the description saying anything about that and I didn't look like there were cutouts on the side for the magnets.

Not yet, they are releasing a new version in a few weeks.

TWallace

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Found one on flea-bay for 17 bucks shipped. Should get it in on or before 4-11-11, will check back once it arrives.

I bought one for $10, I'm just going to hack it up with a knife to make it fit with the smart cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.