Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusrexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
I just unboxed my custom 17inch pro and there's a dent on the bottom :( FML. What to do?! Help!!!!!

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

You don't know what to do? Really?

Contact the seller.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You don't know what to do? Really?
Contact the seller.
It always amazes me that people will take the time to post a thread to ask strangers in a forum about something like this, when a simple phone call to the company would not only give them the answers they seek, but would do so much faster.

jesusrexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
IMG-20110325-00118.jpg

(for a college student, 2500 dollars... this should come with the cure for cancer.)

thanks, I'll call.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
My very first '11 MBP had a dent in the bottom of it too. Though it also had a bad LB. My replacement has been perfect!

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
It always amazes me that people will take the time to post a thread to ask strangers in a forum about something like this, when a simple phone call to the company would not only give them the answers they seek, but would do so much faster.

Yet here we are reading and commenting on it. Which is worst?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
We're not waiting or hoping to have a dent fixed, so there's no phone call for us to make... only the OP delays getting what they want by posting here and waiting for responses.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002

+1

yes, when one often gets irritated by other people's posts, it's a pretty good sign one is spending way too much time here...

oh, i guess i better log off... :)

jesusrexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Is it possible that the dent occurred in shipping? What does the packaging look like?

doubt it, just by where the dent actually is, but who know... I did come all the way from china.

for those who care, I was told I am going to send it back to Cupertino, CA so the engineers can take a look at it cause they said they've been getting a few cases about out-of-the box dents.

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
+1

yes, when one often gets irritated by other people's posts, it's a pretty good sign one is spending way too much time here...

I agree, I've never understood why people get so incensed by what other people do on these forums; does it somehow disrupt an order that they wish to maintain about the place? If so then they should seek professional help to overcome this affliction.

I couldn't give a toss if people post the same question over and over, as long as they're not deliberately flooding the forums and causing disruption what does it matter?

Honestly, the amount of people who take the time and trouble to comment their dissatisfaction about a thread boggles me. I just think Asperger's.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'm not surprised. When I wanted a 17" they opened 3 and all were defective (bad backlight keyboards). Then I opted for the 15" because I became annoyed and when they opened it in the store it looked like someone took a screw driver to the casing. The employees were so embarrassed (I don't know why, I kept my cool and laughed it off.

My mother ordered a 15" and the first one had a faulty graphics card. The second replacement had a dent/indent on the corner of the lid and the third was perfect.

I'm disappointed with apple's quality control lately. I thought it was all bad luck until I opened FOUR iPads in the store and everyone of them were scratched or dinged.

It doesn't stop me from apple products, I love them. It's just a hassle to go through all this.

Take it to the store and they'll take care of it. Might even just replace the bottom.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Take it to the store and they'll take care of it. Might even just replace the bottom.

+1! Does the laptop turn on? Does it work? Since it's a BTO, exchanging will be a hassle and a time suck. Def. take it to the store and see if they can just replace the bottom.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

kappaknight said:

+1! Does the laptop turn on? Does it work? Since it's a BTO, exchanging will be a hassle and a time suck. Def. take it to the store and see if they can just replace the bottom.

The only issue I'd see is the serial number. I'm not sure how they handle that.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
doubt it, just by where the dent actually is, but who know... I did come all the way from china.

for those who care, I was told I am going to send it back to Cupertino, CA so the engineers can take a look at it cause they said they've been getting a few cases about out-of-the box dents.

Tell the Apple store to send it back to California ... they should just give you an exchange

good luck

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

edifyingGerbil said:
+1

I agree, I've never understood why people get so incensed by what other people do on these forums; does it somehow disrupt an order that they wish to maintain about the place? If so then they should seek professional help to overcome this affliction.

I couldn't give a toss if people post the same question over and over, as long as they're not deliberately flooding the forums and causing disruption what does it matter?

Honestly, the amount of people who take the time and trouble to comment their dissatisfaction about a thread boggles me. I just think Asperger's.

Yet your post expressing discontent with my post is about 20 times longer (and more disgruntled) than mine.

To clarify, I wasn't irritated. I was astonished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.