Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewizardofoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Hi,

I updated my Mac OS to 10.6.7. After that when I start iTunes, the computer freezes with no controls working except the power button. I tried restarting the system and again trying the same, repair disk permissions after booting into safe mode, still the issue persists. Any clues or quick fixes for the same.

oz

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Plugged in my new iPad 2 and bang froze. Start iTunes bang froze. To answer your question most have this problem and I have no idea how to resolve it

Insilin1i

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I have the same problem. Connected a friends iphone and it froze, I restarted the computer and it froze again. My iMac is working fine with the update so not sure what they did on the MBA.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I did the whole boot into safe mode repair disk permissions, shut down, startup, shut down, start up, shut down, start up, then opened itunes....and this worked. i was getting rather desperate since I had taken my MBA to best buy with me to pick up my ipad 2 and so I could activate it, but the crashing kept killing me....took me about 20 min but got it all working.

Ravenwolf40

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
All MBA Ultimates???

I do not currently own a MBA (but was seriously considering going to get one/order one today), but now I may wait again after reading through some of these posts.

But I have noticed in reading through the posts (as have others) that almost everyone having issues has the maxed out version of the machine (like 13", 2.13, 4gbram, 256ssd). So I'm wondering if it is limited to that version for some reason? Maybe a quick rundown in here of who IS and who IS NOT having the problem and what specs you have?

Also, this is just an idea. But the people experiencing this problem, do you have an SD card inserted? Or a USB device plugged in? If you remove the SD card and all USB connections, does the problem still persist? Stupid idea probably, but figured it may be worth mentioning.

I don't know, just some thoughts to see if we can get some posts in here to help figure out why this may be happening to others. Again, I personally have nothing to gain or lose by this right now other than my future purchase is now delayed until this is fixed. I was going to either order the MBA 13" 4gb $1399 or just go to the store to get the $1299 one today, but now I wait, such is life :p.

I can say that I updated my iMac 21.5", 4gb ram, 500gb standard hard drive, 3.06GHz C2D processor to 10.6.7 and have not noticed anything wrong with my desktop. I just opened itunes and downloaded my podcasts and updated apps for my ipod touch, syncing worked fine and exiting itunes worked fine. Just for my specs and experienced to be logged in here.

Good luck to everyone with the issues, I hope it is corrected soon for you.

Peace...

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
After reading some of the threads here at MR, I deliberately left off 10.6.7 upgrade when I upgraded my new MBA yesterday, and will only upgrade after the kinks are sorted out.

Hope a resolution is found for those experiencing issues.

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
I do not currently own a MBA (but was seriously considering going to get one/order one today), but now I may wait again after reading through some of these posts.

But I have noticed in reading through the posts (as have others) that almost everyone having issues has the maxed out version of the machine (like 13", 2.13, 4gbram, 256ssd). So I'm wondering if it is limited to that version for some reason? Maybe a quick rundown in here of who IS and who IS NOT having the problem and what specs you have?

Also, this is just an idea. But the people experiencing this problem, do you have an SD card inserted? Or a USB device plugged in? If you remove the SD card and all USB connections, does the problem still persist? Stupid idea probably, but figured it may be worth mentioning.

I don't know, just some thoughts to see if we can get some posts in here to help figure out why this may be happening to others. Again, I personally have nothing to gain or lose by this right now other than my future purchase is now delayed until this is fixed. I was going to either order the MBA 13" 4gb $1399 or just go to the store to get the $1299 one today, but now I wait, such is life :p.

I can say that I updated my iMac 21.5", 4gb ram, 500gb standard hard drive, 3.06GHz C2D processor to 10.6.7 and have not noticed anything wrong with my desktop. I just opened itunes and downloaded my podcasts and updated apps for my ipod touch, syncing worked fine and exiting itunes worked fine. Just for my specs and experienced to be logged in here.

Good luck to everyone with the issues, I hope it is corrected soon for you.

Peace...

I have maxed out MBA but I am not having this issue. I have used itunes multiple times after the update and it seems fine.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Twice now I've avoided the freeze on mine by starting the Mac App store before I start Itunes, then leaving Itunes running. Not sure if this is a workaround or pure luck..

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I seem to have fixed the problem. I used appzapper to delete iTunes. Than I went into user/library/preferences did a search for iTunes deleted all of those preference files and than reinstalled iTunes

No more freezing haha

radcity

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
i froze up while trying to use wifi. but it appears the problem has fixed itself?

i restarted a few times. been working fine now for a couple days.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I seem to have fixed the problem. I used appzapper to delete iTunes. Than I went into user/library/preferences did a search for iTunes deleted all of those preference files and than reinstalled iTunes

No more freezing haha

Does this appear to be a permanent fix or just a temporary one?

thewizardofoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Still Not working

i have tried all the steps mentioned, including uninstalling and reinstalling itunes. I hope apple releases a fix for the same quickly as the number of people affected seems to be increasing.

chiamac

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Got a maxed 13" and it's freezing what appears to be in 1 out of 3 to 4 times opening iTunes 10.2.1

Just found out I'm not the only one. Don't have time to try the fixes, would rather wait for an update.

thewizardofoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Temporary Solution

I came across a temporary solution.

1. Close all applications
2. Switch off Airport
3. Restart
4. Start iTunes
5. Start Airport

It seems to be working now, I am not sure the reason behind it, or how long the fix is going to last (a session, a day, no clue!)

I would like to wait for official fix if this happens again.

oz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.