Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
I can't seem to type text in certain forums such as AT&T discussions or Windows Forums ect... I have to write out my reply using Pages or in a mail draft then copy it and paste it in the forums text box..
Anyone else experiencing this with their iPads??

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
I can't seem to type text in certain forums such as AT&T discussions or Windows Forums ect... I have to write out my reply using Pages or in a mail draft then copy it and paste it in the forums text box..
Anyone else experiencing this with their iPads??

Yes, I've noticed this as well. On some I can type just fine, like on MacRumors, but on others I can't even click it to type nor can I paste text. Strange. It must be the specific forum host (e.g. VBulletin, phpBB, etc.) that doesn't support iOS.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
Yes, I've noticed this as well. On some I can type just fine, like on MacRumors, but on others I can't even click it to type nor can I paste text. Strange. It must be the specific forum host (e.g. VBulletin, phpBB, etc.) that doesn't support iOS.

Thanks Liberal,
Thought it was only me... Kinda sucks, maybe there will be a update to correct this.. I trust Apple to address this before MS, being a WP7 user I can honestly say they truly don't have their $h!+ together :)

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I belong to another forum that you can't directly from iPad, iPhone, or android phones, if you have all the different options on. It is older forum software and it would need to be updated in order to work.

A couple of work arounds we have done have been to either, pick in our user option, to have basic messages (which will mean no smilies or formating). But then when you are back on a computer you either have to change it back or not have all of that. The other is that we click on the html button and type our text in that area. it also means if you know the html code for any formating you want (ie bold or a smilie) you can put it in there.

It seems to be more of an out of date forum server issue than an iOS or android issue.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
Capt I thought the same thing except the one forum I can't type directly onto is Microsoft's WP7 forum which they have just completely updated and revamped from top to bottom (Answers.MIcrosoft.com)..

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Hmmm...

Not sure then. Maybe try the work arounds. But if it is newer then I would think Apple will update for it. I only have safari on the iPad, do you use that or a different browser? If the same, wonder if there is someone that downloaded a different browser that could see if it is a device thing or a browser issue.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I've found that I can't type directly into one forum I use whilst using iCab, but I can type in the same forum using Safari. I had no problems using the iPad 1 to type text into the forum. It's a bit bizarre...

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
I also have "Atomic Web Browser" and also will not allow me to type in the text box at the forums I mentioned.. Very strange..

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Some of the "advanced" text boxes break under iOS, haven't really figured out what specifically causes it to break, but it seems the problem at least for me.

My other "can't type in box" problem is iOS itself, sometimes I can't type emails or in any text box and just have to quit the app (kill it in the multitasking bar) and relaunch, but that's a separate issue that I'm venting about.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
My other "can't type in box" problem is iOS itself, sometimes I can't type emails or in any text box and just have to quit the app (kill it in the multitasking bar) and relaunch, but that's a separate issue that I'm venting about.

I never had that problem but I'm sure they're connected..

MSampson

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
I had this problem on a forum I am on. It turns out that my settings for my sign on info was the problem. Once I turned off the setting to use RTE (rich text editor) then I could post no problem.

by settings I mean the forum settings, not iPad settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.