Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1
greenday123
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to greenday123
Macbook will not boot past grey screen?

Okay so here's the deal, it's a Late 2007 (i think) macbook core 2 duo 2.16ghz, running leopard

Just recently the computer started refusing to boot, the computer will power up, make the chime, show the gray screen but won't go past it, won't even show an apple logo.

I believe it is freezing shortly after powering up, when i hold down the option key the mouse does show up but its frozen and never shows bootable discs.

There are rare occasions that it will not freeze, in which case i am able to get it to attempt to load the os off the hard drive, or load the restore disc that came with the computer, but during the process the prohibitory sign appears (the crossed out circle).

I tried removing the hard drive and booting it, but the issue remained, i've reset the pram also and no avail..

Ideas people?

edit: also tried swapping the ram out with my macbook and still didnt work
iPhone 4 32GB Black
greenday123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on
Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup
If you see a gray screen at startup
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:04 PM   #3
greenday123
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to greenday123
Thanks but I have been through and tried all the instructions in those guides

I forgot it had an old windows installation on it, and it just booted into that fine.. weird

Problem fixed, took it to Apple a week ago today, they told me they would charge a flat rate of $280 for labor, and whatever parts would need to be replaced.

Got it back on Friday, the logic board was replaced just like i thought it needed to be. They also replaced the bottom case (Sleep indicator light wasn't working), the top case (for cracking), and the display bezel (for cracking). They said it was a power issue with the Logic Board hmm..

Great service Apple, i looked up the price for the logic board and it was about $500 and they replaced mine and 3 other parts for half the price of just the board and it took less than a week.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Last edited by MacDawg; Apr 10, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Post Merge
greenday123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook