Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:11 PM   #1
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Question Brand new iPad 2 had dent /scratch/chip right out of the box

So I know this might not be a big deal for everyone but it is for me........

So after waiting at best buy for so long for the iPad 2, I didn't know I was going to come home to a dented device(not to big).

After looking at the device I noticed a dent/chip on the top of my iPad 2(on the plastic/rubber part that connects the screen and the aluminum backing.

It's not that big but still it's just doesn't look good if I ever decide to sell the device. Ever since Friday, I have been debating if I should get a displacement.

Any idea what I should do guys? Opt out for a new device and wait for a new shipment or live with it?
HighApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Steviejobz
In Time-Out

how about a pic
Steviejobz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:15 PM   #3
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. If they don't have any stock, they should reserve one for you from a later shipment. Then keep your damaged iPad until they have a replacement ready.

If BB won't play ball, take it to an Apple store.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviejobz View Post
how about a pic
Yes I will post one
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:34 PM   #5
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
Take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. If they don't have any stock, they should reserve one for you from a later shipment. Then keep your damaged iPad until they have a replacement ready.

If BB won't play ball, take it to an Apple store.
Yes I'm planning on going in tomorrow, and thanks for the quick response dude.

Cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:37 PM   #6
C N Reilly
macrumors regular

If it's a noticeable dent, you absolutely should demand a swap. I'd personally not even bother with BB though and go straight to the Apple Store. They have new iPads in the back specifically marked as replacements.
C N Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:47 PM   #7
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C N Reilly View Post
If it's a noticeable dent, you absolutely should demand a swap. I'd personally not even bother with BB though and go straight to the Apple Store. They have new iPads in the back specifically marked as replacements.
Yes I called an apple store that's near by and a rep said that I should first call best buy because it was purchased from them and see how they handle it, if all goes bad the then bring it into apple store......

It would be a bummer if I had to wait 2 weeks for a device.

Thanks for reply, I appreciate it

Cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:28 PM   #8
auero
macrumors 65816

I've mentioned this a number of times already. I had a 32GB AT&T that arrived from Apple and they swapped it in the store. Came home to see a horrible light leaking screen. Opened at least 5-6 more in store all were bad (scratched). Gave up. Finally got a 64GB AT&T model for myself and same story with the screen, tried one more time and the unit they opened was all scuffed up.

Returned both in the end, got a 64GB 3G first gen for $529. Perfect.

Note: originally when I called apple about the 32GB that I ordered they said I'd have to wait 5 weeks for a new one and that going to the store wouldn't help. Turned up the CS rep was wrong.
auero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:01 PM   #9
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by auero View Post
I've mentioned this a number of times already. I had a 32GB AT&T that arrived from Apple and they swapped it in the store. Came home to see a horrible light leaking screen. Opened at least 5-6 more in store all were bad (scratched). Gave up. Finally got a 64GB AT&T model for myself and same story with the screen, tried one more time and the unit they opened was all scuffed up.

Note: originally when I called apple about the 32GB that I ordered they said I'd have to wait 5 weeks for a new one and that going to the store wouldn't help. Turned up the CS rep was wrong.
Yea that's why I'm debating if I should even exchange... Next thing I know, I end up with a device that has a problem that's more worse and get trapped in a exchange cycle like u did......

Hopefully if I decide to exchange I don't end up with more problems.....

Thanks for sharing your experience, cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Pballer110
macrumors 6502

Exchange it and make sure you inspect the new one before accepting it at bestbuy.
Pballer110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:15 PM   #11
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer110 View Post
Exchange it and make sure you inspect the new one before accepting it at bestbuy.
Yes I will, thanks for the tip

Cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:25 PM   #12
mcdj
Banned

mine had a tiny nick along the bottom edge. in fact the entire bottom edge was roughly finished. clearly foxconn have been under the gun to get these out the door.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:37 PM   #13
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
mine had a tiny nick along the bottom edge. in fact the entire bottom edge was roughly finished. clearly foxconn have been under the gun to get these out the door.
Yea your absolutely right MCDJ, but I don't think the odds are going to be so much better for the next batch of iPads...

By the way, how did u resolve your issue? Or did u jus decide to live with it?

Cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Shasta McNasty
macrumors 6502a

Mine has a nick the size of a pinhead near the USB port. I know it's not from me because you can see the paint and everything still in the pinhead. I've also got a little bit of light leakage but I'm waiting a few weeks to try and exchange it out.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:26 PM   #15
EdwardMoffet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auero View Post

I wonder if the ones you checked out in the store were previous returns that were repackaged.
EdwardMoffet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:16 AM   #16
Troy47
macrumors newbie

Mine has a few nicks also, two pinhead size ones in the corner.
Troy47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:56 PM   #17
ronaldcastillo
macrumors 6502

I purchased my first iPad last week, and it had a tiny dent, couple scratches on the back. Scheduled an appointment, Apple decided to give me a brand new iPad 2, and this one seems perfect, but theres a 2-3 inch scratch in the middle, also the new one seems to suffer from light bleeding on the bottom also. I'll hold on for now, and see if I'll get anymore problems.
ronaldcastillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:09 PM   #18
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy47 View Post
Mine has a few nicks also, two pinhead size ones in the corner.
So it's not just mine..... Do u plan on keeping it that way or exchanging it for a later batch?

Cheers!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:11 PM   #19
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldcastillo View Post
I purchased my first iPad last week, and it had a tiny dent, couple scratches on the back. Scheduled an appointment, Apple decided to give me a brand new iPad 2, and this one seems perfect, but theres a 2-3 inch scratch in the middle, also the new one seems to suffer from light bleeding on the bottom also. I'll hold on for now, and see if I'll get anymore problems.
Yea I don't want to end up with a device that's worse than mine.....
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:21 PM   #20
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighApple View Post
Yes I will, thanks for the tip

Cheers!
Make sure you get something in writing that says they are ordering one for you to exchange your current iPad. If something happens and they loose your order, it will be hard for you to prove it to them.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:25 PM   #21
Built
macrumors 68020

Take it back. The only way that Apple is going to correct their currently poor quality control is if people protest by bringing back their damaged/flawed-right-out-of-the-box iPads for exchange.
Built is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:15 PM   #22
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Make sure you get something in writing that says they are ordering one for you to exchange your current iPad. If something happens and they loose your order, it will be hard for you to prove it to them.
Yes definitely thanks
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:16 PM   #23
HighApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built View Post
Take it back. The only way that Apple is going to correct their currently poor quality control is if people protest by bringing back their damaged/flawed-right-out-of-the-box iPads for exchange.
Yea and maybe for future products as well
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:55 PM   #24
xyaqubx
macrumors newbie

My had two small scratches and screen bleeding , so I went to Apple Store and get brand new one
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:59 PM   #25
ronaldcastillo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyaqubx View Post
My had two small scratches and screen bleeding , so I went to Apple Store and get brand new one
How's the new one you received from Apple? I've got the same problems on my new one, so I'll hold off till this Saturday to schedule a genius bar appointment. Or maybe even next week so that the new batches will arrive.
ronaldcastillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad