Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Seems odd to announce iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 the same day. No heads up to the developers and most apps won't even be compatible. The September release of iPhone 5 is making more and more sense now...

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Last year they announced both June 7th and released them June 21st. Not sure why you would think it wouldn't make sense this year.

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
They haven't previewed iOS5 yet for the developers. Unless they do before June, then this would be the first prevailing.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
They haven't previewed iOS5 yet for the developers. Unless they do before June, then this would be the first prevailing.

Ahhh you're right. I guess so far this lines up with TechCrunch's rumor that it will be previewed at WWDC but not released until Fall.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

^ This. And honestly, I seriously doubt they'll only give developers 2 months with the OS. It seems a little out of standard for Apple.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
^ This. And honestly, I seriously doubt they'll only give developers 2 months with the OS. It seems a little out of standard for Apple.

True, but Apple has been acting out of the normal standard lately.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008

They usually release the dev preview in April with official release in June. It's usually 2 months anyway.

EDIT:

The only thing is will Apple allow 2 months plus to go by without many iPhone sales? If they announce the iPhone 5 in June and then don't release it until Fall, that's exactly what's going to happen. I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
My guess is that they want both Verizon and AT&T on the same product cycle and need until September to do so. And probably justify it as well. Who knows, maybe the developer preview will be announced next week for April but it doesn't sound right to announce an event for June first and then something later for an event in April. I'm fine with not getting something until later this year on the hardware side, iPhone 4 is running perfectly good.

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
I don't think the iPhone 5 will be announced June 6th. The focus will be software only. The announcement will probably come in September or around that time.

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
543.jpg
I don't think the iPhone 5 will be announced June 6th. The focus will be software only. The announcement will probably come in September or around that time.

I second this opinion... lets just enjoy the iphone 4 for now, bwahahah

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
well they've already previewed Lion, what's saying they won't preview iOS 5 before as well.

for all we know this could be for iOS 5.5 or 6. or a seperate Mac OS from Lion that's more iOS like for macbooks and macbook airs. It's pretty much anyones guess until nearer the time.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
well they've already previewed Lion, what's saying they won't preview iOS 5 before as well.

for all we know this could be for iOS 5.5 or 6. or a seperate Mac OS from Lion that's more iOS like for macbooks and macbook airs. It's pretty much anyones guess until nearer the time.

I think we can be almost 100% certain that is for iOS 5. Your other suggestions are a bit out there.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
On the other hand, Im am going to be REALLY bummed if the iPhone 5 is pushed back to September. I'm still on the 3GS and have been constantly looking forward to getting the 5 in June/July. Its only 2 months but the anticipation for a long time now is killing me!!!

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Not saying I think this will happen but what if Apple shifted the iPhone launch into what has traditionally been the iPod date? They're already struggling to make that particular event shine as, let's face it, we can take a damn good guess at the next iPod Touch from the iPhone specs and the iPod Classic is probably not going to see a vast amount of changes. If they DID move iPhone to September we'd have:

March / April - iPad launch window, ideally early April to ensure it's far enough from Christmas not to stop people buying them for that holiday
May - Filling initial iPad demand and stabalizing supply chain
June - WWDC for iOS preview to developers, ideally on both iPad and existing iPhone hardware
July and August - traditionally slow tech months anyway, focus on easing any remaining iPad supply issues and getting through the Back to School promos while building up stocks of new iOS devices for...
September - Launch iOS alongside new iPhone and iPod Touch. Generate renewed interest in iPad with all new features.
October - Get the initial demand for both new devices dealt with and start filling sales channels for...
November / December - Christmas rush. 'Nuff said.
January / February - Traditionally slow tech period as everything recovers from Christmas, start shifting iPad production to new units for March / April launch.

There's a LOT of good things to be said about that timetable and lets Apple focus on a single iOS introduction at a time. Will it happen? Only Apple know that for certain but it wouldn't surprise me. After all the iPhone 4 isn't really under any serious pressure right now at the high end (yes, Android is selling but it doesn't seem to be taking anything away from the iPhone so Apple won't really care), iOS 4.3 is a nice, mature product that consumers don't seem to be in any rush to get off and the iPad is so far ahead of any other consumer tablet right now it's not even funny so if they're thinking of doing a shift like this, now might be a very good time.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I received an email this morning, registered as a developer on Apple even though I'm not, and the email stated the focus will be on iOS and Mac OS this year for the WWDC.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I think we can be almost 100% certain that is for iOS 5. Your other suggestions are a bit out there.

well not necessarily. if they intend to release iOS5 in june inline with previous releases, it could be. Remember it says about the future of iOS, does not necessarily have to be iOS 5.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Well if iOS 5 goes cloud based, then that will keep alot of users busy in using that feature, assuming they are releasing it in June. If it's just an announcement and they release iOS 5 and iPhone 5 and new iPods in September, I think it's kind of an overloaded event, but one that fits well with the holiday season. I like the current event lineup as we get new toys announced/released every 3 months. But I'm sure that Apple thinks iOS 5 will be so good that having it on an existing iPhone 4 still offers a competitive advantage over Android devices.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Last year they announced both June 7th and released them June 21st. Not sure why you would think it wouldn't make sense this year.

Wrong.

iOS 4 and it's "tentpole" features were announced in a more low key event prior to WWDC.

April 8th 2010 to be exact.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Wrong.

iOS 4 and it's "tentpole" features were announced in a more low key event prior to WWDC.

April 8th 2010 to be exact.

We already established this in the beginning of the thread. Read the whole thing before posting snide remarks.

dryja123

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
I'm fine with the iPhone release shifting till later this year. I'm due for an upgrade in November 11' anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.