Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Mike4AU
macrumors newbie

Best and Easiest Way To Transfer Photos To My iPad 2?

I have an iPad 2 on the way to me. Yesterday, I set up iTunes on my laptop PC. I store and process all of my photos on my desktop PC. I am going to put my better photos on a flash drive and place them on my laptop. I will set up folders by year taken and some sub-folders, by genre.

I have no intentions of uploading unprocessed photos directly onto my iPad. That said, what is the best and easiest way to transfer the photos that I place onto my laptop to the iPad 2?

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Mike4AU is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Well, if you connect your iPad to iTunes, there is a "Photos" tab. You make a folder with the photos you want to transfer to iPad, then point iTunes to that folder.
Night Spring is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Mike4AU
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Well, if you connect your iPad to iTunes, there is a "Photos" tab. You make a folder with the photos you want to transfer to iPad, then point iTunes to that folder.
As indicated by my post, I am an iTunes neophyte. When I copy the photos from a flash drive to my laptop, do I have to copy them into folders within iTunes or can I just copy, for example to "My Documents/Photos/2008/etc?"

Thanks for your help.
Mike4AU is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:12 PM   #4
whudat
macrumors newbie

I posted same in the main iPad forum : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1126821

Figured that I would share it here also.

In order to maintain my current picture folder structure, I use an app called Photo-Sort. I use it as a photo viewing replacement for my Apple provided Photos app. It allows you to move your pictures from your computer hard drive (folders and all) onto your iPad via FTP. I like it because it maintains the folder structure that you want instead of the single folders view that the native Apple Photo viewer app provides. I use the Apple Photos app for wallpaper pics.

In order for me to save space, I rescaled my photos into a separate "Apple Crap" only partition that I use to sync on. I used a free program called iRFanView. It has a batch photo re-scaler. I went this route because I have a ton of pictures that I wanted to share with family members. I figured the iPad was a great tool to show them off. Without the rescale, the pictures storage would've been more than double the size. When you import photos via iTunes, your larger images are "optimized" to a resolution of 2304 x 1536. This allows for zoom in clarity. If you don't care about zoom in clarity, rescale to 1024 x 768 (native iPad resolution).
whudat is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4AU View Post
As indicated by my post, I am an iTunes neophyte. When I copy the photos from a flash drive to my laptop, do I have to copy them into folders within iTunes or can I just copy, for example to "My Documents/Photos/2008/etc?"

Thanks for your help.
You copy them to "My Documents/Photos/2008/etc?" Then when you connect your iPad to iTunes, you'll see a "Photos" tab, from where you can point iTunes to that folder.
Night Spring is offline   0
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6
r-sky
macrumors member

I use Dropbox on both my laptop and iPad to transfer pictures and other files. It's free and I found very easy to use. Load the Dropbox app on your iPad and create a user file name/password and then load the Dropbox program on your laptop. Then just copy the pics into the folder on your laptop. Open Dropbox on your iPad and download them. On my laptop, I just do a "copy all" and paste them into the Dropbox folder. However, on the iPad I found the download has to be done one pic at a time. OVerall I love it and it works very well with no need to sync with iTunes. (When you do sync your iPad with iTunes, those pics are synced as well.) This works great with any file, kind of like a Cloud thumbdrive for the iPad.
r-sky is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:00 PM   #7
rtztgue
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-sky View Post
I use Dropbox on both my laptop and iPad to transfer pictures and other files. It's free and I found very easy to use. Load the Dropbox app on your iPad and create a user file name/password and then load the Dropbox program on your laptop. Then just copy the pics into the folder on your laptop. Open Dropbox on your iPad and download them. On my laptop, I just do a "copy all" and paste them into the Dropbox folder. However, on the iPad I found the download has to be done one pic at a time. OVerall I love it and it works very well with no need to sync with iTunes. (When you do sync your iPad with iTunes, those pics are synced as well.) This works great with any file, kind of like a Cloud thumbdrive for the iPad.
+1 gotta love dropbox. no more sending files to an email account so I can download later at another one of my plethora of computers. and no more carrying a usb drive around. Its nice that you can share them with other users if you want. just create a sub-directory and send out an invite to another dropbox user. they will be able to share just that directory with you or anyone else you share it with. Sweet
rtztgue is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting