Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
baummer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to baummer
iPad Cover Lock/Unlock feature missing?

According to Apple's iPad 2 OS 4.3 manual I got from iBooks, it says that you can activate the iPad Cover Lock/Unlock by accessing Settings > General > iPad Cover Lock/Unlock (page 342). I don't see this option on my 16GB WiFi only iPad 2. Am I missing something?
baummer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:42 PM   #2
wherewuz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baummer View Post
According to Apple's iPad 2 OS 4.3 manual I got from iBooks, it says that you can activate the iPad Cover Lock/Unlock by accessing Settings > General > iPad Cover Lock/Unlock (page 342). I don't see this option on my 16GB WiFi only iPad 2. Am I missing something?
The option only shows up once you've actually put a Smart Cover on your iPad, which it doesn't look like you have.
wherewuz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3
baummer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to baummer
Strange. I have a case that advertises this feature, but it isn't working. Guess the case manufacturer lied - although others with this case have reported it works. Must be a defect with my particular case. Thanks!
baummer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:44 AM   #4
DickW
macrumors newbie

Cover lock gotcha

I tried the iPad cover and decided against it. Later, I discovered my iPad2 was eating batteries because it wasn't turning off when the top button was pushed. Was about to take it to Apple when I discovered the cover lock function was still turned on. Turning it off resets the top button function.

DickW
DickW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:48 AM   #5
boshii
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewuz View Post
The option only shows up once you've actually put a Smart Cover on your iPad, which it doesn't look like you have.
That's false.

EDIT: I may be wrong about this. My iPad 2 is in Developer mode so that may have enabled it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baummer View Post
Strange. I have a case that advertises this feature, but it isn't working. Guess the case manufacturer lied - although others with this case have reported it works. Must be a defect with my particular case. Thanks!
The setting should be there. Did you by chance have an iPad 1? Maybe restoring from backup removed the option from settings. That's my only idea.

Last edited by boshii; Apr 22, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:06 AM   #6
dpmbeliever
macrumors newbie

I had my iPad2 for a week before buying a red leather smart cover... I can confirm that the setting never showed up until I attached the smart cover to the iPad2.
dpmbeliever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:11 AM   #7
clyde2801
macrumors 601

I wonder if you can stick magnets to it in order to turn that feature on?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:15 AM   #8
caubeck
macrumors 6502

The setting doesn't appear until there's contact with a cover. However maybe a magnet can do the same thing? Mine appeared after contact with a cover at a store.
caubeck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:50 AM   #9
thibaulthalpern
macrumors regular

I would never have known the option wouldn't come up until a Smart Cover has once been used on it. When I got my iPad 2, I immediately tried on the SmartCover before turning on the iPad 2.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:07 PM   #10
alau0115
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I would never have known the option wouldn't come up until a Smart Cover has once been used on it. When I got my iPad 2, I immediately tried on the SmartCover before turning on the iPad 2.
Hope people don't mind me reviving this old post....

Is it safe to assume in order to get the "Smart Cover Unlock/Lock" switch under the "General" setting, you have to at least attach an Apple Smart Cover?

I have it missing in both of my new iPad (3) devices. One is straight out of the box and the other one had the backup of a previous iPad 1 restored.

In a local store today, I find the button is there for the new iPads.

However, if I attach a 3rd party cover which supports Automatic Sleep On/Off feature, it works though. What is bothering me is there is no way to turn it off. (assume even a 3rd cover can be disabled with that "Smart Cover Unlock/Lock" button)
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Geeks On Hugs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
I wonder if you can stick magnets to it in order to turn that feature on?
It uses magic not magnets. Well same difference.

Hah, I just got a cover yesterday and noticed that. Pretty cool for it to show up like that in any case.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories