Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
I am trying to install Win98SE on my iMac G5 using QemuX. Apparently there is a bug in the current version and I need to manually copy some files to the "/opt/local/lib" folder. Where is it? I tried "Go to Folder..." in the Finder and it says no such folder exists.

I am running 10.3.8.

Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's a kind of strange relationship between the directory structure on the boot HD and what Finder shows you, that hides some of the Unix directories. Also, you may not have an /opt directory -- I don't. Do this:

Open Terminal
Type:
cd /
ls

If you see an entry "opt," you can type "open opt" which will open opt in a new Finder window, even though it isn't normally visible. :cool:

If you do not, make one:

mkdir opt

Again, you can use "open opt" to get to this in finder, or you can continue to make the directories with mkdir, and you can use cp to copy the files.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
mkrishnan said:
There's a kind of strange relationship between the directory structure on the boot HD and what Finder shows you, that hides some of the Unix directories. Also, you may not have an /opt directory -- I don't. Do this:

Open Terminal
Type:
cd /
ls

If you see an entry "opt," you can type "open opt" which will open opt in a new Finder window, even though it isn't normally visible. :cool:

If you do not, make one:

mkdir opt

Again, you can use "open opt" to get to this in finder, or you can continue to make the directories with mkdir, and you can use cp to copy the files.

Thanks! Turns out I didn't have an opt directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.