Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:36 PM   #1
micvog
macrumors 6502

Where's "/opt/local/lib"? (Qemu related)

I am trying to install Win98SE on my iMac G5 using QemuX. Apparently there is a bug in the current version and I need to manually copy some files to the "/opt/local/lib" folder. Where is it? I tried "Go to Folder..." in the Finder and it says no such folder exists.

I am running 10.3.8.

Thanks.
micvog is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:42 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

There's a kind of strange relationship between the directory structure on the boot HD and what Finder shows you, that hides some of the Unix directories. Also, you may not have an /opt directory -- I don't. Do this:

Open Terminal
Type:
cd /
ls

If you see an entry "opt," you can type "open opt" which will open opt in a new Finder window, even though it isn't normally visible.

If you do not, make one:

mkdir opt

Again, you can use "open opt" to get to this in finder, or you can continue to make the directories with mkdir, and you can use cp to copy the files.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:27 PM   #3
micvog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
There's a kind of strange relationship between the directory structure on the boot HD and what Finder shows you, that hides some of the Unix directories. Also, you may not have an /opt directory -- I don't. Do this:

Open Terminal
Type:
cd /
ls

If you see an entry "opt," you can type "open opt" which will open opt in a new Finder window, even though it isn't normally visible.

If you do not, make one:

mkdir opt

Again, you can use "open opt" to get to this in finder, or you can continue to make the directories with mkdir, and you can use cp to copy the files.
Thanks! Turns out I didn't have an opt directory.
micvog is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion