Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I just bought an iPad and am beginning to learn how to use it.

I am used to Windows Explorer where I can see which files are in my computer.

Is there any program I can use to see the files that are in my iPad?

So far I have used Dropbox, GoodReader and Documents Free. These programs do not show the same PDF files as being in my iPad.

Do they each have a copy of a given file?

Last edited:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
The iPad does not have a file system, so each program has to store/download files itself. A definite feature which is lacking from iPad IMO.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
The iPad does not have a file system (not one which you can see), so you will not learn how to use it by thinking it is a box which has files inside of it which you need to get at. You access the content on it in a different way.

Perhaps you could tell us what task you are trying to accomplish (watch a movie, edit a text document, e-mail a friend) and then we can help you.

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I am not trying to do anything specific. As I said in my original post I just got an iPad and am learning how to use it. I just want to understand how things work.

I was just wondering if it was possible to see which files are in my iPad. Since it does not seem to have a file system I gues that will not be possible

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I am not trying to do anything specific. As I said in my original post I just got an iPad and am learning how to use it. I just want to understand how things work.

I was just wondering if it was possible to see which files are in my iPad. Since it does not seem to have a file system I gues that will not be possible

What files exactly do you want to see?

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I have some Word, Excel and PDF files in my iPad.

GoodReader shows some, Dropbox shows others and Documents Free some others also.

As I am totally unfamiliar with my iPad, I am just trying to understand how things work

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I have some Word, Excel and PDF files in my iPad.

GoodReader shows some, Dropbox shows others and Documents Free some others also.

As I am totally unfamiliar with my iPad, I am just trying to understand how things work

Well, what a lot of people do is put the files on your computer, sync them with Dropbox, then sync your Dropbox with something like Goodreader. If you use a document editor you can set it up so that any changes you make go back to Dropbox so the document is always updated no matter how you access the file. Will this work for you?

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
That is pretty well what I want to do.

Is it complicated to setup?

Any tutorial I could look at in order to understand how to do what you just suggested?

Like I said my iPad is a new toy and I just beginning to learn how to use it.

I am familiar with Windows but this is all new to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.