Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
jwdelta
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iMac G5 only boots in safe boot

I bought an unused G5 (and still run Tiger) from my former employer 3+ years ago. Not expecting to become a FORMER employee any time soon, I left the manilla envelope with all of the software in the box in the computer closet ... meaning I have no system discs.

Now, my computer will only boot in the safe mode. I have copied everything that we used and deemed important and my wife and I have tranferred them to our laptop a MacBook Pro. When I turn it off, I have to safe boot it the next time to start it again.

Still, we would like to be able to utilize the desktop in our office and, at this time, are not in a position to purchase a new one.

Because my former supervisor -- who helped me become a former employee -- went on one of her famous cleaning binges, no one can now find ANY of the packets for any of the 20+ Macs at the office! Yep, she's not smart.

I realize that I got a deal -- $75 -- but is there ANY way at all I can do anything to get my Mac back to regular operational status without the Tiger system discs?

Thanks in advance for any help.
jwdelta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:20 PM   #2
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
It may be crazy, but an upgrade install to Leopard (from a retail Leopard disk) is the first thing that crossed my mind - upgrading (and likely repairing) the OS, while keeping your stuff safe and untouched where it is.

Don't quote me or run out and try it. I'm just throwing it out there!
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs