Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Amazon Music Cloud?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. Just found it an interesting development in the mobile wars. Seems Amazon has launched another surprise volley over the mobile wars. Cloud storage and music streaming for customers.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/29/amazon-cloud-player-goes-live-streams-music-on-your-computer-an/

Only for web and Android though. I tried pulling the Cloud Player up on my iPad2. Accesses the files but you don't hear any music stream. I think it may be running on Adobe Air.

5GB free storage. 20GB for a year if you buy an MP3 album. The uploader indexed my entire iTunes library (15.5GB worth) and offered to upload a copy to my cloud. Time estimate was 12 hours.:eek:

Is this Amazon's reaction to the subtle friction between Apple and them last year? I mean the iPad did pretty much kill the Kindle reader as it was priced. My iPad1 made the $300 investment of an old Kindle seem like a joke. Although I admit I have dumped iBooks for Kindle app purchases. I only use iBooks to load my freeware ePub editions.

Or is it maybe Amazon's way of getting tired of waiting for Google to deploy its mobile computing services (Google Music Player and a better app store)?

Last edited by a moderator:

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Amazon Cloud Storage - 20 GB Free Streaming

Just saw this on another forum:

Amazon is offering free 5 GB cloud storage and if you buy a "99 cent album" they will upgrade you to 20 GB. If you chose to upload your songs from iTunes library, it looks like you can stream it from your iPhone. Why can't Apple offer something like this?

http://amzn.to/fxeDPh

What is Amazon Cloud Drive?

Amazon Cloud Drive is your hard drive in the cloud. Store your music, videos, photos, and documents on Amazon's secure servers. All you need is a web browser to upload, download, and access your files from any computer. Get more details about using Cloud Drive
5 GB of free online storage

Your Cloud Drive comes with 5 GB of free storage—enough space to store up to 1000 songs. This space is yours to use as you like and you will never be charged for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
I don't live in US, so I can't use this, but it sounds like a good cloud storage solution. Hopefully there will be similar iTunes solution (if it's just for iTunes purchases, it's totally unappealing).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't live in US, so I can't use this, but it sounds like a good cloud storage solution. Hopefully there will be similar iTunes solution (if it's just for iTunes purchases, it's totally unappealing).

Thats why I can't see it.

brettatk

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
You don't even have to spend $0.99 to qualify. I just bought "Trouty Mouth" for $0.69 and I now have 20GB of storage space for a year.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It appears that you are attempting to use Amazon Cloud Player from outside the U.S. This service is intended for U.S. customers only.
Oh, the shame.
*Hangs head*

But I guess the 6th of June might show what direction Apple Inc. takes.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Amazon server space is very secure at least. Too bad there's no way to hack it for hosting a website. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.