Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
For some random reason, the icon for my 4G iPod on my desktop has turned into a removable disk drive icon. Why is this? Is there any way I can turn it back? I've repaired permissions (just for the hell of it really...)

Thanks for any help. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If a simple restart (of computer and iPod) will not help, then I'm afraid you'll have to restore the iPod (easily done from the iPod updater, just remember this will erase everyting on your iPod, so sync first...)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, thanks Mitthrawnuruodo. I've done all those things - restarted iBook, reformatted iPod etc.

I ended up just grabbing an icon from Macmonkies.com to replace the ugly disk drive one. My problem isn't really with the lack of icon so much as whether this is a warning that something else may go under soon. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When my green iPod mini was fairly new, I did an upgrade (from 1.0 to 1.1, I think), and something went wrong in that upgrade. The mini had some problems with large syncs, froze up on me a couple of times and the icon showed a blue(!) iPod mini, but apart from that it still worked. When the next update came along, it greyed out the "update" option, and forced me to "restore". This didn't bother me (as I haven't got anything on my mini that isn't also on my iBook), and - wouldn't you know - after the restore the little green icon appeared on my desktop once more. Have worked flawlessly ever since...

The moral: Try a restore and see if it doesn't get back to normal... ;)

VAmin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
I have the exact same problem. Haven't really tried to hard to fix it, but it does bother me. I think it happened after I ran ipod updater.

VAmin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
btw- I have a 4G 40Gb ipod running 3.0.2- and I didn't really need to run the updater, it just ran after finished dling from software update. The latest one has nothing new for the 4G.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
With my iPod shuffle, the icon would only show when iTunes was accessing it. When I enabled disk mode, it showed up as a removable drive (this is before 10.3.8 even) but would still show up as my iPod when iTunes was accessing it.

So what I did was get iTunes to transfer as much music as it could to the iPod to give me time to copy the icon from it. I then pasted that onto a folder (to keep a copy of it on my hard drive) and then set that icon to the removable drive that was showing up on the desktop.

It's always showing as the iPod shuffle icon now whenever I plug it into my mac.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
I had the same problem as mad jew. I noticed it the last couple times I connected my 20GB 4G. I downloaded the latest Updater again and did the Restore. It did not fix the problem.

Prior to this week, it has always shown up with the iPod icon, no matter what I was doing with it.

keithpetey

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
same thing happend to me. i think it was after i got the 10.3.8 patch and the ipod updater together.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
So, sounds like a bug ... did everyone who experienced the problem have a 4G (clickwheel) iPod and run the 2005-02-22 updater even though they didn't need to? That's my best guess as to what caused this minor but annoying problem.

I wonder if running Restore again with an older version of the Updater (but would still have 3.0.2) would fix it? Is there a way to get these older updaters? Versiontracker just links back to Apple, who of course only have the new one.

edit: I read through the latest updater thread and saw that while others have this problem, no one has a fix. I know, I should probaby just do what mad jew did and move on ...

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Sorry, I know this is dumb, but it's bugging me. .. does anyone know where on my computer or the Internet I can get another copy of this icon? thanks.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
this has happened to my new 4g 20 gig ipod after I had just updated last week or so. Very annoying. What is syncing? Does it have anything to do with that isync?

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
Yea we are all getting this problem. This is just very annoying even though it still runs the same and works fine.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
OK, I've got my icon back now. I had to reformat my iPod because I was using it to transfer files to a Windows PC. When I formatted it back using my iBook, I used the previous updater (the one before this latest version) and now each time it loads onto my desktop it has the usual 4G icon. How weird is that!

In the meantime, I've been using an icon from somewhere on http://macmonkies.com/icons1.html which is great (better looking than the original IMO). :)

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I had to do complete re-install and now the mini icon show's up on the desktop. I was sharing AAC files which were first on a PC and then transfer to the Mac. Could that be why it disappeared?

EDIT: I just disconnected the mini and connected it again and of course the icon went bye bye. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.